ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a73 240Z with 72 carbs and a Auto tranny.(I will soon be rebuilding the engine and head and everything.)

Let me tell you a story, me and about 5 buddies were going to acar show and I had one guy with me and my buddy driving his 92 Nissan Sentry with athe four banger and we pull up to a strip of road which doubles as a drag strip and we raced and off the line he killed ME!! After about 10 secs I could him and blew passed him and My buddy and I were cheering them it got strange, Out of the Blue came an early probe and it blew passed me like i was standing still and i was going 110!!!! And the Hottest chick was driving that car. I could not catch her. What is my car's problem?? I know it is more of a HIGHWAY car then a dragster.

Can My car hang witha 1988 Eighty Eight OLDS? I have raced him for about a 1/3 mile and he was 4 car lengths pulling away but I had not reached 5500 RPM so could I hang with him or should I just wait until I rebuild my engine and get about 210 HP(190 HP at the wheels)?? WHY is my old 240 SO SLOW???

Dustin Morris

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
two words: AUTO TRANNY

> Hey I have a73 240Z with 72 carbs and a Auto
> tranny.(I will soon be rebuilding the engine
> and head and everything.)

> Let me tell you a story, me and about 5
> buddies were going to acar show and I had
> one guy with me and my buddy driving his 92
> Nissan Sentry with athe four banger and we
> pull up to a strip of road which doubles as
> a drag strip and we raced and off the line
> he killed ME!! After about 10 secs I could
> him and blew passed him and My buddy and I
> were cheering them it got strange, Out of
> the Blue came an early probe and it blew
> passed me like i was standing still and i
> was going 110!!!! And the Hottest chick was
> driving that car. I could not catch her.
> What is my car's problem?? I know it is more
> of a HIGHWAY car then a dragster.

> Can My car hang witha 1988 Eighty Eight
> OLDS? I have raced him for about a 1/3 mile
> and he was 4 car lengths pulling away but I
> had not reached 5500 RPM so could I hang
> with him or should I just wait until I
> rebuild my engine and get about 210 HP(190
> HP at the wheels)?? WHY is my old 240 SO
> SLOW???

> Dustin Morris

·
Registered
105 Posts
Don't mock the Sentra

I used to drive a 92 sentra. That thing was fast. For a 1.6 it really had some balls. Don't be discouraged if he beat you. It's because of your auto tranny. My brother has a 73 with and automatic and I used to whop his ass with my sentra all the time.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Don't mock the Sentra

> I used to drive a 92 sentra. That thing was
> fast. For a 1.6 it really had some balls.
> Don't be discouraged if he beat you. It's
> because of your auto tranny. My brother has
> a 73 with and automatic and I used to whop
> his ass with my sentra all the time.

I can beat his Sentry not the Sentra and I also have an 5 speed laying around but don't really want to put it in my car because it will make me not have astock tranny and I am trying to keep the CAR (looking) Stock even thought the head and all that stuff willl be suped.

Dustin Morris

·
Registered
382 Posts
> Hey I have a73 240Z with 72 carbs and a Auto
> tranny.(I will soon be rebuilding the engine
> and head and everything.)

> Let me tell you a story, me and about 5
> buddies were going to acar show and I had
> one guy with me and my buddy driving his 92
> Nissan Sentry with athe four banger and we
> pull up to a strip of road which doubles as
> a drag strip and we raced and off the line
> he killed ME!! After about 10 secs I could
> him and blew passed him and My buddy and I
> were cheering them it got strange, Out of
> the Blue came an early probe and it blew
> passed me like i was standing still and i
> was going 110!!!! And the Hottest chick was
> driving that car. I could not catch her.
> What is my car's problem?? I know it is more
> of a HIGHWAY car then a dragster.

> Can My car hang witha 1988 Eighty Eight
> OLDS? I have raced him for about a 1/3 mile
> and he was 4 car lengths pulling away but I
> had not reached 5500 RPM so could I hang
> with him or should I just wait until I

> rebuild my engine and get about 210 HP(190
> HP at the wheels)?? WHY is my old 240 SO
> SLOW???

With 210 HP you won't get 190HP at the wheels. The rule of thumb is 30% less at the wheels than HP at the engine. That's approx. 147HP at the wheels.
Mike

·
Registered
358 Posts

> I can beat his Sentry not the Sentra and I
> also have an 5 speed laying around but don't
> really want to put it in my car because it
> will make me not have astock tranny and I am
> trying to keep the CAR (looking) Stock even
> thought the head and all that stuff willl be
> suped.

> Dustin Morris

You could put the 5 speed in it, pick up a center counsel and shift boot and have a manual stock apperance, plus the performance to make the difference in those close races. It's useless to build up an engine in my opinion with an auto unless you are in a ton of traffic. I get stuck in traffic with my 4 speed, but it's worth it. I enjoy down shifting into the next turn and punching out hard, which you just can't do the same in an auto, plus, the heel/toe down shift is the best, although I still need to master it!
Anthony

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

> I used to drive a 92 sentra. That thing was
> fast. For a 1.6 it really had some balls.

I drove an 83 Sentra in college. My only performance mods were a glasspack and the air filter lid turned upside down. I beat lots of cars, including 2 240sx turbos and my friends 320i. When I shifted at redline, flames would come out the exhaust.

btw, I have an 89 Probe GT and a 72 240 w/L26 E88 combo now. Probe is smoother and quieter, but Z is MUCH faster.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aw heck I beat a Sentra once with my Buick

A Four thousand pound 78 Buick Skylark 4dr. Sedan with an anemic V-6, the guy in the Sentra SE-R did not know how to shift but as soon as we hit 60 I had to kiss his
ass bye bye. Your car is not slow it may just need a little freshening up and newer
Tech updates...

·
Registered
863 Posts
Re: my 240 VS. 88 Olds or Ford PRoBE (book)

Don't let people tell you its because you have a auto trans. The proof is in the NHRA cars, each and everyone is running a auto trans. A automatic can and will be quicker then a manual (and it doesn't matter if its a 4, 5, or even 6sp). In a manual you lose time on every shift (depending on how good you are, it could be a lot or a little), even the fastest manual shifts are slower than the shifting in a auto trans.
To me it sounds like you want/need more topend.
From personal experience here is what I found to be wrong with the factory setup on all 240Z's. First off the mechanical fuel pump doesn't even come close to the fuel volume needs for even the mildest of L24 motors. I had the exact same motor set up you have ('73 L24 motor with '72 intake and carbs). In my car the top speed was about 120mph (if you held the pedal down for a day or two, give or take a hour). I went and put a electric (rotory style) high volume low pressure (about 5-7psi) fuel pump on the car and took off and threw away the mechanical pump (blocking off the hole in the cyl. head of course). After this simple and ralatively cheap mod the top speed went to a little over 130mph, plus I got there in about half the time it took me to get to 120 without the electric pump. The next step I took was more of a leap. I got a header and 2 1/2 exhaust system from Tweeks, K&N filter, gross jets from British Victoria and a set of SM (SM is the # on the needle jet) needle jets from a buddy that had a extra set.
The header, exhaust (I threw away the muffler they sent with the exhaust system and got a straight through design muffler from Dyno Max, looks kind of like a stubby glasspack with 2 1/2 inlets and outlets. And yes it is loud, very LOUD when your racing, but to me it sounds cool and it intimidates the competion.) and filter (by the way its the one looks like a stock element but its a K&N) got my '73 240Z to do about 140mph on the flats (my term for a long flat piece of road, the better to see the Highway Patrol and get a accurate top speed reading). I noticed if I would slightly pull the choke the car would go faster, what I'm saying is the motor was still leaning out at high rpm under load, but I also knew it wasn't because of a loss of fuel pressure because if I pulled the choke out too far the motor would start to flood out. So I put in the gross jets, SM needle jets and synced and adjusted the carbs and went out for another try. Beleave me or not, but I got my car to go a little over 150mph, thats with a 4sp and stock 3.36:1 gears in the diff and the motor running at roughly 6800rpms. Granted it takes some time to get to 150mph, but from 80-130mph its very quick.
With a couple simple mods you should be able to blow by that chick in the Probe and make her take notice of you, or at least your Z.
Another bit of drag race info.
If you only race short distances (1/4 mile or less) change the diff ratio to something like a 3.90, 4.11, or for 1/8 mile or less try a 4.37 or lower (higher numerically). You can find these ratios and the diffs (less work to intstall means more race time and less headache) in anything from ZX's to 4x4 pickups (Datsun/Nissan of course). You will find that your automatic will blow the doors off of a lot of other vechiles with more hp and manual tranys in a 1/4 mile, or shorter distances.
If you still don't beleave me go to <A HREF=http://www.racetep.com>http://www.racetep.com</A> and go to the Starion section (I know its not a Z, but trust me) and find the arctile where the guy is complaining about his Starion with a auto. If you don't trust me trust them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.