Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I am getting ready to purchase a complete Mustang II front clip for use on my '77 280Z V8 Velo Rossa GTO. I will get this for 200 dollars (at a junkyard I might add). I am not afraid of the fabrication involved, but was hoping anyone out there had seen or heard of this conversion before. I am also looking at a Ford 9" rear and will convert to five bolt 11" discs all around.

Thanks for your help,

Jeff Green

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I do know what Ford stands for. It is the last name of Henry Ford, the founder of Ford Motor Company. His hard work and vision revolutionized the automobile industry. Keep that in mind the next time you feel the necessity to make fun of someone or something.

I am building a custom (to my liking) Hot Rod, that just so happens to be a VR GTO. I do not relish the idea of the Z as a donor, but I don't want to build a complete tube frame. So, from the firewall forward will be removed and replaced as well as the changes to the rear-end.

I do not wish to discuss the merits of whether a Z is better than a Mustang. I simply asked for advice and assistance on the project. I did not ask for your approval or whether you think it is a good idea.

I am aware of the challenges in fabricating and working with metal, however I am not a novice welder and enjoy these kinds of projects.

Sincerely,

Rev. Jefferey K. Green

P.S. Steve, thanks for all of your support and your great site.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<b>RE: Ouch</b>

Maybe you should try Ford.com, I'm sure there are many intellectuals who would relish defacing a Z car there. Don't take it personally Jeff, it's just that many of us here love the Z car, and the fact that in it's purest form as a factory production car...it was not only one of the best selling sports cars in history, with a two year waiting list to buy, one of the top ten most influential designs that changed the sports car market forever. Not to mention the countless years of Road Racing domination. I certainly wouldn't build a car from a frame that I didn't "relish". But, that's just me... Happy welding

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RE: Ouch

Tim,

No need for the "ouch". I agree that the Z was a great car that made an impact on the auto industry.

I don't think that I am "defacing" the Z. After all, when I purchased it the roof had already been removed, the fenders and bumpers were gone and the interior had been stripped. I am simply recycling some metal, I considered using a custom tube frame or even a corvette frame, however the VR GTO was designed around the Z. So for convenience and better fit I will use the "passenger compartment" and doors. I would think this is better than the car ending up in a scrap heap or being crushed.

So if I offended you or any other Z purists I am sorry. But I wanted a different Hot Rod, not another 32 Ford.

Take care,

Rev. Jefferey K. Green

·
Registered
382 Posts
Take out the stock frame front to back, and build a new full frame from 2x3 square tubing. That would be the easiest way to mount the Mustang II, and 9 inch to it. Did you measure the width of the Mustang compared to the Z ? Good luck, sounds like a fun project! Where do you live?

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Alternative..please read

Have you checked into one of the pre fab front clips offered by Jegs or Chassisworks or others? They use the Mustang II front spindles, brakes and Pinto rack and pinion steering. I have a tube frame project of my own 66 Chevy II, and used the Chassisworks unit...very complete, and may be even easier than grafting the Mustang front clip. At least check it out, it could save you some fab time. Just a thought.

Ken

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RE: Alternative..please read

Thanks everyone for your support. After reviewing some advice that I was e-mailed and the advice I have gotten here I will probably do the following.

1. Replace the stock Datsun "frame" with custom tube frame front to rear including roll bar/cage. I requested a video from Z-Therapy, but it won’t be available until late summer.
2. Utilize just the passenger compartment and doors of the original.
3. Will use a Ford 9" solid axle rear
4. Will use a Mustang II front end either from the junkyard or a purchased prefabricated unit, probably a little of both. I will also be replacing the steering column with one of those nifty billet aluminum ones used in Hot Rods.
5. The body will be modified slightly, the front clip will still lift forward, however the fender skirts will be attached to the bonnet permanently and the bonnet will latch with the use of a late model Corvette bonnet latch system. I am also looking at the latches off of a Triumph Spitfire.
6. The rear tub will lift/tilt rearward to allow access to the fuel cell and just to look cool. The trunk lid and fuel filler door will be permanently attached, sealed and smoothed for a cleaner look.
7. The windshield will be chopped several inches and the door handles will be shaved.
8. I will be using a MOPAR 400 big block slightly modified and lightened. Expected HP around 400 with torque near 500 ft/lbs. At least that is what I am “expecting”. I haven’t decided whether to use the aftermarket Holley fuel injection or not. But I am sure it will be a beast no matter what. The stock motor made 325 HP and 425 ft/lbs (Net). So I am starting with a decent engine.
9. The tranny will be 727 Torqueflite Auto with a push button shifter.
10. The interior will be completely custom with a Dakota digital dash.

Quite a crazy vehicle isn't it? Ha. I am currently in the process of rebuilding the engine and making modifications to the fiberglass body. The car/frame will be last because of the extensive mods that need to be made.

One of favorite things about custom Hot Rods is when people combine the best of many different cars to come up with something unique. Well, currently the “best” part of my particular 280Z is the fact that there is this awesome Velo Rossa GTO body for it. Don’t get upset, I did not say that was the best part of a Z in general, just my particular Z.

Thanks everyone for your help, support and opinions – good or bad (although I prefer good). ;-)

Rev. Jefferey K. Green

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RE: Make sure and post pics as you go

Being a Z car Purist AND a kit car/hot rod enthusiast I think what you are doing is great. The Z car is a good starting point, and since you are using something that would have ended up in a crusher, I think this is very cool!

Keep us updated on your progress!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RE: Make sure and post pics as you go

Thanks for the support. I apologize for my "preaching". Since I love all cars, I can't quite grasp the feelings that Z enthusiasts have for their cars and don't quite understand the need to bash other cars. Competition should be kept on the track where it belongs. The kind of car bashing that I read here just leads to animosity. I try to avoid conflict if at all possible. Please do not respond to my posts if you have something negative to say.

Thank you,

Rev. Green

·
Registered
996 Posts
I am looking into a tube chassis, too

Where are you located? I am wanting to construct a tube chassis for my Z so that I can go double wishbone at all four corners and design it with a twin turbo ford 5.0 mated to a t56 6spd. I want to put this under the Z sheet metal (well maybe some fiberglass). It sounds like you are not afraid to be different, I respect ingenuity. This car would be my road race toy, so I am very concerned with balance, and suspension geometry. I am always looking for advice.

Good luck
Matt

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.