ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So got this kid here that keeps talking **** about my Z saying when it is ready he is gonna smoke it in his 2000 Mustang GT.

So here is my question when the Z is done it will be a JDM motor running 10 psi. now I know the JDM motor had 230 hp so on 10 psi what would I be running about 250?

I know the GT stang runs around a 14.8 in the 1/4. I would think the Z on 10 psi would run a low 14. Should be a fun race :)

Post Edited (Nov 18, 4:33pm)

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I dont remember hearing anything about the JDM motor having more HP then the US engine. do you have proof of this?

I smoke GTs on the freeway. I dunno about standing starts though. at 10psi I think you have a good chance of beating him, if you are a good driver.

·
Registered
304 Posts
i normally stay beside my girlfriend when she drives her 2000 v6 stang, i dont stay in the throttle so she atleast thinks she can take me.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Shouldnt be a problem I think your car would be capable of low mid 14's. Most stock gt mustangs here where Im from are lucky to hit 14.80s stock.

·
Registered
373 Posts
A FORD BEAT A Z NO WAY I beat a ford mustang gt on hwy 71 the other day he gave up at 110 .Probably cuts out then :).

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Cars are close spec wise, its one of those, depends on drivers, tires, conditions, and a wide array of other things......

With that said.....I hope you win =D

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
It should be a good race. Yes 99-04 stang GT's will run mid 14's easy and with a good driver low 14's to high 13's. Your turbo Z with mods should be at the low 14 to high 13 mark as well. The main thing is your third gear. My friend has a 04 stang GT with exhuast (good for another 6hp). My 280z got him off the line and hung neck and neck with him up to about 70mph. Basicly once he hit 3rd and I hit 3rd he pulled away like nothing. Now if his stang is moddifed as well then you might have problems. Then again most drivers of the mustang gt don't know how to launch too well and end up smoking the tires off the line.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the GT is stock and this race will take place this month sometime. I will keep you all posted I guess if I lose I will throw on the I/C and turn up the boost to 12psi and also run 110 octane mixed with 91 :)

I had no idea that the GT will run a low 14 to high 13! Thought for sure they ran high to mid 14s

·
Registered
861 Posts
From personal experience with GT's, the slowest time for basically stock GT's with just exhaust/X-pipe was mid 13's to low 14's on DR's, slightly slower for street tires.

I know my S2000 versus a GT is a dead even race, and my S2k runs a 13.8 best and average of 14.1.

I hate to use a cliche, but Mustangs are like a box of chocolates..

All I can say is if you're worried, then don't do it for money.

·
Registered
46 Posts
In case you don't know. MUSTANG GT'S ARE SLOW!!!! I ditched a GT MUSTANG with nothing but a K&N intake and a chopped off muffler. I Smoked a Z28 camaro (the chevy mustang) with nothing but 8psi of boost and 3inch turbo back exhaust. Don't under estimate your Z. That mustang will get smoked on the freeway.

Post Edited (Nov 17, 12:41pm)

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Im not really sure why people in the states compare Mustangs GTs to Nissan 300ZXs. One is a muscle car, the other a sports car? I dunno maybe I'm wrong but here in Australia that would be similar to comparing a Ford Falcon to a 300ZX. Not really fair match either way, Ford is mega heavy but has a 4.5ltr engine. Totally different class of car so I dont see the relivance in comparing them personally.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Guess that was just a typo :)

Higher octane fuel (93) is formulated to prevent early detination so you can achieve the correct compression (your engine requires the high test to begin with). If you use a lower octane fuel, then your gas could ignite prematurely, causing pinging and maybe engine damage if your really hauling ass.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Prolly be a close race, at 12 psi you should walk him.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
thats 4.6L v8 for the stang GT's. not that it matters. i think i'd rather have the 5.0 H.O. from the 1995's if I absolutely had to choose an engine in a Mustang.

·
Registered
191 Posts
dont know what kind of mustangs u guys racing but here they stomp all over my z its all stocked tho only has k&n filter and exaust. I can beat the v6 but I remember a while back I was crusing around 60 mph and a 4.7L GT mustang got next to me I droped it to 3rd and it stomped all over me. My friend also owns a 85 300zx got up to a red light agest a bullet mustang and once the light turned green he passed us like we where not even moving. Dont even want to think how bad a saleen mustang would own my Z.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hmm well I know I won't be racing for money. Anyway I will let you know what happens when this race takes place. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.