ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the easiest way to remove the old rubber bushings so I can install my new poly ones? Does the metal insert that surrounds the rubber need to come out too? Thanks in Advance and Merry Christmas to All, Dave.

· Read Only
3,883 Posts
one of two ways, knock em out with a hammer and a socket, or use a small propane torch and burn em out the easiest way.

· Registered
1,784 Posts
Easiest is to use a propane torch to burn them out. Leave the metal shell in, as the urethane insert is sized for it.

· Registered
648 Posts
Yes, leave the metal shell in. But I don't believe heat is the best / easiest way to remove the bushings. Here's what I do:

Drill several small holes through the rubber part of the old bushing. Don't damage the metal shell.

Attach a vise grip to the inner metal core bushing, and rotate it out. It should come out easy if you weakened the rubber enough with the drill.

Now you're left with the outer metal shell, and lot's of residual rubber. To get out the residual rubber, just use a circular wire brush attachment for your electric drill (experiment with various shapes / sizes for best results) The wire brush will eat through the rubber and leave the metal shell perfectly smooth, making it easy to install the poly bushings. Took me about 20-30 minutes for both sides.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.