ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a nice 83 280zx turbo, It has been acting like the fuel pump was going out. I was almost sure of this. When It finally when out ( or so I thought), it wouldn't start, I pulled the plugs to find them all flooded, bad. Gas ran out of the block when I removed the plugs. I didn't think this was that easy to do with a fuel injected car.
Any clues on what could cause this. I was thinking on lines of the MAF, but I'm not sure.

· Registered
996 Posts
Yikes!!! I'd look at the cylinder head temp sensor and the fuel pressure regulator for starters. That's a lot 'o fuel. Are all the cylinders flooded or just a couple? If its only a couple, maybe stuck injectors. If its all the cylinders, it sounds like an enrichment problem. Since cylinder enrichment is handled by the ecu, I'd suspect a sensor issue.
Dan

· Registered
600 Posts
Joe,
I am having a similar problem with my Z ('76 converted with an '83 turbo system). Almost the exact same story. I suspect the O2 sensor. If the AFM went bad you wouldn't get anything. I will be putting on a new O2 sensor tomorrow. Be sure to change your oil before you start your engine. The oil will have gas in it and will not provide lubrication as it should. I also hear that if the gas fumes ignite, you can blow the oil pan off the car!
LOL,
Retro

· Registered
1,001 Posts
your problem might be

i had the same problem with my 240z that i converted to turbo...wheni first tried to fire it up...im having a hard time remembering what it was.....im thinking it was a air flow meter problem...that was the only real problem i had....make sure you are getting spark..if its not burning the fuel it will build up in the cylinders...and go out the exaust when the exaust valves open......if i think of anything else ill e mail ya or just post here...see ya jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.