ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What muffler would give the sound of the 77 280 Z ? The one's I remember seeing and hearing had this nice sound, twin cromed tips and gave the type of tone that I would like to have on my Z. I have been told that maybe, this was an ansa muffler that they no longer make, i don't know. Does anyone have any ideas. Thanks

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Twin-tube mufflers (actually 1 pipe into 2 for looks) are still made and available. I think you're right that Ansa is no longer in biz, but you can get essential clones from Vic British (I think under the 'Monza' name) and Motorsport Auto ('Targa?'). They both run about $140-$150 bucks for the cat-back system (muffler and pipe from the catalytic converter back). I got one of these from MSA -- one setup fits all '75-'78 280s -- but have not installed it yet. I got it because I saw a Z car with one and also liked the way it sounded.
FYI, The more power-hungry contributors to this forum tend to sneer at these bolt-in systems because they use only 2" diameter pipe. 2.5" is considered by many to be the minimum 'right' diameter to use for increased power. My take is that big pipes don't do much until you start doing mods to the intake and fuel delivery, which I'm not willing (or financially able) to do. Personally, I'm pretty happy with the way my stock EFI motor performs and since the stock exhaust is about 2", I'm confident the targa system will work fine for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Dynomax super-turbo muffler is a good choice - flows excellent with a European tone with 3" tip. Monza makes good mufflers for the old Z's also.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.