ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a week of questions on the web about my auto temp system I was beginning to wonder if anyone really knew the sequence of operations of the auto temp system....and your intuition about my frustration was right on target. Freezing my toes off on the daily 56 mile round trip to work only added to my frustration! Now, after reading your email, I can't tell you how happy I am to have the answers I've been seeking

Your explanation of the magnet valve purpose, and it's electrical operation is absolutely outstanding. It was not knowing these things that prevented me from accurately diagnosing the problem(s), and drove me nuts. With your information I feel confident and look forward to testing the vac/elec/valve operations this weekend. I only wish I could start work on it right now. But, as they say, ...there's a time for every purpose under heaven....

I'll be sure to let you know how I make out. Until then, please accept my sincerest thanks and appreciation for helping me.

Sam Alvarez

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks Bob and Sam!

>I'm glad to see some folks working on this issue. I'd sure like to have more control over my heat etc. Although, I guess I shouldn't complain, at least I have heat.

I have to admit, after seeing the messages over the last couple of days, I was tempted to scrap the whole Auto Temp Control system. Although, I hate to do it because my car has just over 50K original miles on it, and I'd like to keep it original. Now that I've seen that there is some expertise out there, I think I will hold onto it.

Let me know what you find, as I am mostly focused on replacing struts and springs this weekend.

Good luck and happy new year.

kordon

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Troubleshooting Tip

I got to thinking.... Does your blower run?

If so, you have eliminated a lot of possible problems. With the mode selector in any position but off, two things should occur. One is the the blower motor should run and the other is that there should be power on the blue/red striped wire connecting to the magnet valve with the black cap.

So... if your blower runs and you don't have power on that wire, it has to be a problem with that wire somewhere between the blower relay and the magnet valve. If you do have power on that wire and no vacuum out of the tank, then it's the magnet valve.

Bob A.

> After a week of questions on the web about
> my auto temp system I was beginning to
> wonder if anyone really knew the sequence of
> operations of the auto temp system....and
> your intuition about my frustration was
> right on target. Freezing my toes off on the
> daily 56 mile round trip to work only added
> to my frustration! Now, after reading your
> email, I can't tell you how happy I am to
> have the answers I've been seeking

> Your explanation of the magnet valve
> purpose, and it's electrical operation is
> absolutely outstanding. It was not knowing
> these things that prevented me from
> accurately diagnosing the problem(s), and
> drove me nuts. With your information I feel
> confident and look forward to testing the
> vac/elec/valve operations this weekend. I
> only wish I could start work on it right
> now. But, as they say, ...there's a
> time for every purpose under
> heaven....

> I'll be sure to let you know how I make out.
> Until then, please accept my sincerest
> thanks and appreciation for helping me.

> Sam Alvarez

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.