ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody let me in on which one of the above ignitions (or any other alternatives) would be best suited to a modified L28 -triple Webers,10.5-1 compression,forged pistons,.550"lift 306 duration cam,flowed head and custom headers into 2 X 2 1/2 inch exhaust system.It is currently ignited by a stock 1970 240Z dizzy with a Accel super coil and 8mm leads but will definitely benefit from a better spark. Many thanks in advance to any one who cares to relate their experiences.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Chris, I use a 78 electronic ignition off a datsun 810 with a 75 280 distributor in my 2.9L with 10.7:1 compression. The engine pulls great up to the 7100 rpm redline. When I ran the ignition in the smaller 2.4L it woud pull past 7500 rpm where the valves would start to float. I don't know if its good up to or past 8000 rpm but it might be. BTW, do you drag race? And if you do, what sort of times are you turning? Later,norm

·
Registered
996 Posts
Here what I did

I have a motor setup similiar to yours, same cam, webers, forged everything, etc. I was using the stock 78 electronic ignition with a hot coil and it would detonate above 6800 rpm. I installed the MSD 6AL over the crane, because I see Old MSD units still functioning good in lots of seasoned race cars. It made a big difference in my car now I bounce off an 8000 rpm rev limiter with no pinging. Car starts easier, runs smoother, and gets better mileage. I have no problems with crane, I also have no experience with them.
Hope this helps
Matt

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>? about Balance work.</b>

Have you Guys done any balance work to your motors.I slung my balancer off, on my 81 na last year when I reved it to about 7,000rpm or so.It was the first time I ever reved it that high.I have heard of some other people having the same problem.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RE: ? about Balance work.

Yes !!
I had the crank,rods,pistons and flywheel balanced, this is critical when building a motor that will be operating at high revs.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: ? about Balance work.</b>

Thanks for the quick RE: but how much did this cost.Also would it do any good to get the balancer and the flywheel balanced.I don't really need to go into the motor.I really do not want to rev. it past 6,500.So if I got these two thing balanced would it be a little safer.I have seen those NISMO balancers but they all drop the A/C belt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.