ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 78' 280Z and just purchased a MSD 6A along with a Accel coil. I hooked it up the way the instructions said (or so I thought). I am guessing that the EFI is not working because there is plenty of spark. I hooked up the Magnetic Pickup wires ffrom the MSD to the little black box on the fender that holds the wires to the distributor. After talking with MSD they say not to use the Magnetic Pickup and to use the white whire instead. Has anyone hooked up a MSD 6A to a 78Z and know the proper way it should be done. THANKS !!!!
Owen

·
Registered
402 Posts
I hooked mine up with the white wire and kept the factory transistor ignition unit like the MSD instructions say. You will need the tach adapter for a points ignition to get the fuel injection and tach to work correctly. Also use really good quality wires to avoid crossfire & radio interference with the powerfull MSD spark.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Agreed, don't try to bypass the Transistor Ignition Unit (above the fusebox) because it has to signal both the EFI ECU and Tach. Use the white wire connected to the old coil negative feed (Blue). Connect the dizzy wires back the way they were. Then the new coil however they show it. Remember that new system will pull more power so you'll need a new positive feed.

ConorP

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: MSD 6A Hook Up "More Help"

Hey, thanks alot for your help on this. I am a little
new to the ignition part of upgrading. I did find out
from MSD that I would need to buy a tach adapter. I
just wish when I was at the performance shop they
would have known all that when I ordered it. My only
last question is where "exactly" do I hook up the
white wire? And what are the dizzy wires refered to?
Is that the magnetic pickup? Anyhow, thanks so much
for your help on this.
Owen
>

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey owen, i have had my msd 6a for over a year and have yet to get the answer i am looking for as in your "more help" post. i have a '77 z that i am trying hard to update my ignition , this msd system sounded real good when i purchased it but like you i have not been able to find out the proper hookup...... where the **** do the wires go ... magnetic pickup or white wire someone has got to know ,i will monitor your post for any good answers. thanks for the question !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: White wire!

Ok, this still does not tell anyone "WHERE" to hook up the white wire. You say to use it to trigger the MSD?? Use it "where". WHAT other wire does it hook up too? It is not so simple to people that don't know how to do it or never done it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Re: White wire!

If you don't have the instructions that came with the 6A go to the MSD website and you can download them. Read them carefully, and the pictures they use explain it better than I can type it,but basically you don't use the purple & green wires on the MSD box. White wire on MSD goes to wire that originally went on neg side of coil which I believe is blue. You will need the tach adapter for POINTS ignition or the fuel injection won't work. The MSD website is great for info and will walk you through the whole thing. It really isn't hard at all so if you can't figure it out from here put it back in the box and forget about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.