ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm in the market for some brake pads. When looking through my MSA catalog, I found the "Performance brake pads". the semi-metallic ones.

I use my car as a daily driver, as well as on the track (Auto-X and Open Track). With my stock pads, I got a TON of brake fade at my last Open Track.

Are these pads good enough quality to use on the track? Should I look for full metallic ones? If I get full metallic ones, will they work on the street alright?

Any recomendations on brands/types of pads are welcome, and appreciated.

Thanks,
Thunder(79zx)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Re: MSA - Semi-Metallic brake pads - fade on track

I have a 83-zx had bad brake fade at the track. Put slotted rotors and the MSA semi-
metalic pads and no problems. Also use the stock rotor and MSA semi-metalic on
my 71-240 at the track and no problems. But if you have the money the hot
ticket seems to be Porterfield pads.

·
Registered
50 Posts
carbotech panthers

I have a 83 converted to turbo and an 84 turbo which is still used on the street but mostly solo1/2 and track days. I have used oem, napa gold, pbr/ metal master/axxis, and finally purchased a set of carbotech panther pads. Not the panther plus which bites initially harder but doesn't have the feel solo2 needs. I have run my last track day 2 days ago at talledega gp and for 40 minute sessions had zero brake fade coming from 105mph to 73 and then 93 to 55 all on a 1.53 mile course. This car has no brake ducting but has backing plates removed from the front. Fluid is fresh and is just as important as pads. Don't put your money in crossdrilled/slotted rotors until you get yourself some real pads. Porterfield/carbotech are both available but I chose carbotech because when I asked price and availability it just wasn't yea, got em, it was how much does your car weigh, how good of a braker are you, (I am considered a late sloppy type), percent street/solo/track. and how much do you like cleaning your rims, etc. I will use Carbotech the next time also and still go deeper than the type r's and M3 in the corners and still show them what 14.5 lbs of boost in a 17 year old car can do.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Re: carbotech panthers

In the old days...some of the guys would run a pad with more 'feel' on the street and install a true performance pad at the track. Otherwise, everything else you do is somewhat of a compromise.
BTW: Buy the best fluid you can afford and change it often!

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Don't do it!

This spring a fellow in a ZX came to the track having just installed new MSA performance brake pads (front and rear). By the end of the day, the pads were GONE and he'd chewed into his rotors. Get some real pads for the track.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.