ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After replacing the 02 sensor, im getting 16 mpg in city (oppsed to 12 before :/)

Is this about right or do i need to fix something else you think?

85 NA

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I get about 18-20mpg.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
In the city I get about 19 and on the freeway I get about 29. If you are still down in the mid teens you have some more work to do.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My 89Z NA...excellent condition, maintained, and tuned with 75K miles, auto-trans has always been somewhat of a gashog in the city...never more than 12-15 in city....and 15 is at the high end.

Much better on the road ie; 21-22 occasionally a bit more.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Your NA should be getting much better mileage. My 85 turbo needs a new 02 sensor and has several large intake leaks (bad BOV for one) and I still get 15 in the city.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Laudersscotch: you should be getting more than that with your car unless you have an extremely heavy foot. My 84 is similar to yours with 82k on the engine with an auto tranny and I still get about 19 with in town driving. Mind you I don't drive like an old lady either but I'm not flooring it out of every light.

·
Registered
216 Posts
in my 85 n/a auto 88k i would get like 14-17 city and 22+ highway, but in my AE 5-spd 86k i get 20 in the city 24+ on the highway. in both car that flooring it most of the time. the n/a had a complete tune up done recently and i havent done anything to the AE.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any ideas on what to help it? I have the "hesitation" problem that is common...would fixing that help mileage? (ignition coil or injectors)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Ways to save some gas costs with your Z....(tested with an na)

* new plugs...wires...dist cap & rotor.

* check gas cap to see if it holds pressure...check EVAP system (charcoal can & lines).

* use synthetic oils in the engine...trans...diff...maybe 3% gain in mileage?

* new O2 sensor (if the old one doesn't work)...possible 10-12% gain in mileage...found this out by replacing it.

* a non functioning EGR might cost you 10% in mileage...found this out by disabling mine.

* tire pressure up to max (be SURE and check for good traction)....maybe a 3-5% gain?

* drive like your grandma.....

* for those with a sense of adventure....

http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/ ...have gained 12% in mpg with an na using acetone

* for those from outer space.....

http://www.kfor.com/Global/story.asp?S=3390503&nav=6uy5aHLq

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.