ZCar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I own a 280Z that isn’t currently running. It’s at my fathers house and with the house being itself in rough shape, I’m bringing it to my house.

the engine is pulled out, and wheels are off. I plan on doing a rebuild of the drum brakes so I can put wheels on and get it rolling onto a trailer.

Other than rebuilding the drum brakes, what other considerations would I need to do before putting the car into the trailer.

thanks!
Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle registration plate

Automotive tail & brake light Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

·
Administrator
1983 280ZX Turbo
2,004 Posts
If you can push it, steer it and stop it, you can trailer it.

Don't trust the parking brake. Use extra tie-downs to make sure it can't move on that trailer!

·
Registered
161 Posts
You probably don't even need to rebuild the brakes. Just put the drums on and then the wheels and it should roll. Don't trust the parking brake at all if you do this!! 🤣🤣 With that front air dam, your ground clearance might not be enough to clear the trailer ramp. Have some 2x4's or something around if you need to build an intermediate ramp to gain the clearance you need. Then again, without an engine it might be riding high enough. Be mindful of how you strap it down, you can bend things like rear control arms if you ratchet it down too tight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That’s the thing, the driveway has a 45 degree incline…. For safety we will need the brakes lol.

car has been sitting for 28 years. I’ll grab some 2x4s in case

·
Registered
70 Posts

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
You will get into more than simple stuff trying to have the brakes functioning. I went through this a while back with a car sitting for 10 years.

Master was bad, hoses were bad, hard lines leaked, wheel cylinders and calipers were bad etc, etc. A come along will get it onto the trailer. A block and tackle will get it off with control. Use wheel chocks and have help also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts