ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with the Motorsport Upholstery Kit? I would like to do something with the seats in my 83 280ZX and don't know if I should recover or look for new at the junk yard.
Thanks
Gil

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I installed a Motorsport re-upholstery kit on my '77Z. It went on with minimal hassle and looked fine - for about 18 months. Then it started to show signs of wear. I've had it about 4 years now and I'm planning on replacing it. I'm going to a local upholstery shop and have it done in leather and ensure the seats are reinforced in the areas where I know wear will occur.
Good luck
Phantom

> Does anyone have any experience with the
> Motorsport Upholstery Kit? I would like to
> do something with the seats in my 83 280ZX
> and don't know if I should recover or look
> for new at the junk yard.
> Thanks
> Gil

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I installed a Motorsport re-upholstery kit on my '77Z. It went on with minimal hassle and looked fine - for about 18 months. Then it started to show signs of wear. I've had it about 4 years now and I'm planning on replacing it. I'm going to a local upholstery shop and have it done in leather and ensure the seats are reinforced in the areas where I know wear will occur.
God luck
Phantom

> Thanks
> Gil

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Thanks
> Gil
Unless you are absolutely determined to restore your seats to original color and style, I would recommend that you have your seats done by a professional upholsterer. I know a shop in Southern California that will redo both the front and rear seats in my 1980 2+2 for about $350.00 if I supply the fabric. We found some wild fabric for about $5.00 per yard. It only takes about 6 yards alltogether, depending on pattern match. Thats not much more than trying to do it yourself, and this guy is an absolute pro. Sure beats doing it yourself.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Where in So. Cal is that upholsterer. I would like my car seats to look good again.
Thank you.
> Unless you are absolutely determined to
> restore your seats to original color and
> style, I would recommend that you have your
> seats done by a professional upholsterer. I
> know a shop in Southern California that will
> redo both the front and rear seats in my
> 1980 2+2 for about $350.00 if I supply the
> fabric. We found some wild fabric for about
> $5.00 per yard. It only takes about 6 yards
> alltogether, depending on pattern match.
> Thats not much more than trying to do it
> yourself, and this guy is an absolute pro.
> Sure beats doing it yourself.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Where in So. Cal is that upholsterer. I
> would like my car seats to look good again.
> Thank you.
This Upholstery shop is in Rialto, Ca. (out by Riverside). It is Classic Auto Upholstery at 225 1/2 South Orange Street. Owned by Luis Palomino and his phone number is 909-421-0316. He is probably the best auto upholsterer I have ever met. Tell him Merle with the 77Zcar referred you to him. Nice guy.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Thanks
> Gil

I installed one in my '72 240. I got the black vinyl with gray velour inserts to match the custom job I had done about 10 years ago. I looks just as good and went on with just a little help from the sun on a hot day and a hair dryer. If you have problems the shop that makes the covers will be happy to help you over the phone.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
These kits don't include the foam do they? I never hear anyone talking about the cushioning in their seats, just the covers. When do you get/make them?

Chris

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Thanks
> Gil
Gil- I got their kit last year and did it myself. I bought some foam at a fabric store..must have cost less then 5 bucks and some of the spray adhesive. I took me about 5 hours but I also re painted all of the metal parts with gloss black. They look GREAT! I have no regrets...if you are going after the original seat look go for it! Any more Q's feel free to e-mail me. Good Luck-Travis 77z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Travis, do you know if Motorsports blue covers match the original 1970 pearl blue that Nissan made? Thanks for the help.

> Gil- I got their kit last year and did it
> myself. I bought some foam at a fabric
> store..must have cost less then 5 bucks and
> some of the spray adhesive. I took me about
> 5 hours but I also re painted all of the
> metal parts with gloss black. They look
> GREAT! I have no regrets...if you are going
> after the original seat look go for it! Any
> more Q's feel free to e-mail me. Good
> Luck-Travis 77z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Travis, do you know if Motorsports blue
> covers match the original 1970 pearl blue
> that Nissan made? Thanks for the help.

Wayne- Nope I do not know. My black ones were an exact match for factory so I assume the blue would be of the same quality. Give them a call and ask. 1-800-633-6331
good luck-Travis 77z

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.