ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Monday I order Motorsport Auto's 6 into 1 header and their Turbo 2 1/2 Exhaust System. I was told by the sales rep that the system would have a Dynomax muffler, but when it arrived today it had a Thrush muffler. Every opinion I have ever heard of Thrush mufflers is a bad one.

Anyone care to comment?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I also bought the 6 into 1 header with all the pipes. My car is a 2/71 240. The pipes didnt fit. I called several times and was told that i was installing it wrong. Finally after cutting and bending and using a different muffler ( the thrush fit like ****) I called them to tell them what I thought and found out that they made the system on a later model (280 I think he said). I hope they are telling people. But I would guess the greedy sob's are not! My .02 cents -- send back all the pipe and bring it to a muffler shop and have it fabricated. The header fit well.

> On Monday I order Motorsport Auto's 6 into 1
> header and their Turbo 2 1/2
> Exhaust System. I was told by the
> sales rep that the system would have a
> Dynomax muffler, but when it arrived today
> it had a Thrush muffler. Every opinion I
> have ever heard of Thrush mufflers is a bad
> one.

> Anyone care to comment?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> one.

I did buy the motorsport exhaust system, i used it with a pacesetter header, and i had a friend put it on, a really crappy fit! As for the muffler, dont even try to fit it in there reasonably, i ended up putting on a resonater and a chrome tip to get rid of the bulky muffler, i agree with sending it back, custom fits much nicer.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but i hope it helps anyways-Evan

·
Registered
57 Posts
> I did buy the motorsport exhaust system, i
> used it with a pacesetter header, and i had
> a friend put it on, a really crappy fit! As
> for the muffler, dont even try to fit it in
> there reasonably, i ended up putting on a
> resonater and a chrome tip to get rid of the
> bulky muffler, i agree with sending it back,
> custom fits much nicer.

> I know this is not what you wanted to hear,
> but i hope it helps anyways-Evan

Hey ya'll. I just started a restoration on my 83. Was getting ready to spend big bucks with Motorsport,engine,suspension,exhaust,aero..... Now you got me questioning their quality. Sure would appreciate any other parts sources you've got.
thanks

·
Registered
529 Posts
Try Tweeks' Exhaust System

I have used Tweeks exhaust system and I have found that it fit quite well on my 240Z. The muffler is crap though, I scrapped it and bought a Dynomax Super Turbo. BTW, Thrush is manufactured by Walker, which also manufactures Dynomax. Also, I just ordered another one of Tweek's systems and I will be putting it on a '72 240Z. I'll let you know how well it fits. The price was $111.75 plus s/h. Dynomax muffler was $28.95 plus s/h from Summit....

> one.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Go to a Shop.+motorsport comments.

> Hey ya'll. I just started a restoration on
> my 83. Was getting ready to spend big bucks
> with
> Motorsport,engine,suspension,exhaust,aero.....
> Now you got me questioning their quality.
> Sure would appreciate any other parts
> sources you've got.
> thanks

I have headers and a really shitty exhaust set up so I have been getting quotes. For 249.00 they will give me a flowmaster, 2.5 pipe, mandrel bends, and weld a flange on to the header and the pipe so I can remove my exhaust when I need to.
So go to a professional shop and have it done, it will fit much better then all the C clamped pipes. As far a motorsport goes I have ordered from them 7 times with no complaints at all.
-Good luck- Travis 77z

·
Registered
529 Posts
Try Tweeks' Exhaust System

I have had success w/ the system Tweeks sells. I installed one on my 240Z about 3 years ago and it fit fine. I just ordered one for another 240Z and I expect it on Thurs, 11/19. I'll let y'all know how well it fits. The thing is that the muffler they include w/the kit is crap. I scrapped it and bought a Dynomax Super Turbo. The system cost $111.75 + s/h and the muffler was $28.95 + s/h from Summit. I think this is reasonable for a mandrel bent exhaust system.

BTW, Thrush is manufactured by Walker, which also manufactures Dynomax. There is nothing wrong w/the Thrush muffler performance-wise. However, don't expect it to last very long. They are a very inexpensive muffler (like about $14.95). They tend to fall apart. IMO, you will have better luck w/the Super Turbo. Or, if you want real performance, try a Dynomax Ultra Flo. These are straight through and are stainless steel. I have one on my turbo 240Z. However, they cost a lot more. It's kinda like a Borla....

> one.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Re: Go to a Shop.+motorsport comments.

> I have headers and a really shitty exhaust
> set up so I have been getting quotes. For
>....snip....
> As far a motorsport goes I
> have ordered from them 7 times with no
> complaints at all.
> -Good luck- Travis 77z

I have never dealt with any of their (Motorsport) exhaust system components so I have no comment there. - but -

On other purchases I have been generally very happy with both their punctuality and pricing. I have been ordering from them, Victoria British and Tweeks for a number of years...they all have their up days/down days just like local vendors but all seem to be resonably professional and interested in your satisfaction (= return business.)

One thing I can say for Motorsport is that they generally know Z's better than the others. Vic Brit also does a load of British (duh) as well as RX7 & some others, Tweeks also does Porsche & maybe others...

my .02

tomh

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Re: +motorsport comments.

> On other purchases I have been generally
> very happy with both their punctuality and
> pricing.

I have to agree that the parts show up fast. Other times when I've not gotten what I wanted from other places I had it from MSA in a couple days. It's good to always check with www.nissanautoparts.com or another place like that as often you can get the genuine Nissan parts for the same price.

My biggest complaint with MSA is with what most of you that have delt with them said to yourself when you read that last line. But the parts I got from MSA WERE genuine Nissan. One time I order and get Nissan the next time it's unmarked in a plasic bag, the next it's aftermarket. There isn't much consistancy and they don't tell you in the catalog or on the phone what will be OEM.

The non-OEM trim parts often leave much to be desired. Some they make themselves i guess.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.