ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i have a '76 280Z coupe with the stock L28. While I currently spank hondas and other imports, my biggest challenge is the 300ZX and V8's. I was think of doing an N/A setup, but I ont think it will get me the horsepower gains that I want. I dont want to do a V8 conversion, and I also want to keep the 4-speed. What can i do to add a turbo to the current engine, or a NOS setup. im leaning more towar the turbo, but i want to use the stock engine. Can i just get donor parts from a 280ZXT?? and if so what ones do i need to do the conversion. thanks in advance.

Steve.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just replace your L28e with an L28et, probably easier than turning your current engine into a turbo engine, plus you add a turbo you gotta think about low compression piston etc., etc. . Or you can keep your stock motor and fool around with the intake, exhaust adn camshaft. Probably easiest is put a k&n filter in it, then performance camshaft are as easy to install as changing your belts. Exhaust can get tricky but still very straight forward.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if anyone can direct me to a how-to for installing and building an L28ET i would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Swap the Motor

To put in the 280zxt engine you need to just plain and simply swap the motor into it. I think you need a few other things as well, i tihnk the fuel pressure regulator, but you also need to get the wiring harness and ECU from the l28 et car. Easiest is to just buy a 280zx-t parts car and go from there, i'm thinking of doing the same thing for my 280zx, but i'm still not too sure.

-Emir

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
Just find you a 280ZX turbo car and put its engine and everything connected to it into your car. It goes in exactly like you old motor came out, all mounting points are the same, you can even keep your current tranny if ya want(you'll need a strongeer clutch). The hardest part is to get all the wiring into your car. Oh yeah you wiill probably need to upgrade your fuel system.

Justin T

·
Registered
800 Posts
All you really need is the entire turbo motor complete with injectors, AFM and exhaust back to the cat. Use the factory harness in your car hooked up the the turbo injectors and the turbo AFM with the guts from your AFM swapped in. You will also need to swapp the distributer shaft in the turbo motor to one from a NA motor. This way you can run either your factory dist. or a stand alone dist. from a na 280zx. This swapp works great, I've done it on 4 Z's and 1 Maxima wagon- all using their factory FI setup. You may need to replace the fuel pump adventually because the motor will put a greater stress on the old pump. Otherwise expect to run 13's with this stock setup. Upgrade the turbo, intercooler, ect, then you're looking at 11's!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
does anybody have recommendations for building the internals like cams pistons rings and crank?? will a stroker kit work on the turbo setup??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.