ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know any ways to get more power out of an '81 Datsun 210. I sold it to my brother and he wants to autocross it. We're going to stiffen the suspension and put wider wheels(possibly 280Z wheels with low profile tires, they fit, but the tires don't clear). Stock it is only around 65hp I think, and I did fairly well at autocross with it. Needs more power. The engine is reliable. I would like to beat some of the VW's there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
> Anyone know any ways to get more power out
> of an '81 Datsun 210. I sold it to my
> brother and he wants to autocross it. We're
> going to stiffen the suspension and put
> wider wheels(possibly 280Z wheels with low
> profile tires, they fit, but the tires don't
> clear). Stock it is only around 65hp I
> think, and I did fairly well at autocross
> with it. Needs more power. The engine is
> reliable. I would like to beat some of the
> VW's there.

I think a 210 is the same as a 120Y here in Australia. I used to have a '76 120Y and used about four different motors over time. The first few were A series motors - the original A12 1.2L motor, and A14 1.4L and an A15 1.5L. All basically the same block - the A15 has a slightly higher deck height.

The original A12 will rev well and produced 1 hp per cubic inch in stock form! Unfortunately it only has ~70ci and about 71hp (in Australian spec.). Torque is lacking.

My last motor was an L16 1.6L motor from a 1600 (510 in US?). This is basically a 4-cylinder 240Z motor - pistons, bore, stroke, valves etc. are all the same, just two less cylinders.

In Japan, most cars have half a dozen engine options out of the factory. The L16 was an optional engine in the 120Y/210, so you'll find the chassis already has the correct (currently unused) holes drilled to mount a cross member from a 180B (I don't know the US designation for this model, but it was the L18 fitted car with semi-trailing IRS that came after the 1600/510). This will give you bigger brakes and struts that are suitable for larger wheels and tyres. I ran 185/65SR13's, but 14 rims would fit with low tyres. Track width of the 180B is larger, so you'll need to either fit shorter lower control arms from a 510, or variable camber adjusters - but it can be done with entirely stock parts if you've got a good wrecker (junk yard?) nearby.

I've been told that the solid axle from a 510 wagon is the correct track width for a 120Y/210.

There would be no technical impediment to fitting an L20 2.0L motor. Some Rally cars did so here. For inspiration, look at a Datsun 1200 (predecessor of the 120Y/210) fitted with a modern CA18 DOHC/turbo/intercooled motor at:

http://zcar.com/forums/z1/?read=13802
(Re: 2.6 skyline engine swap?)

Anyway, the A12/A14 motor already produces competent horsepower for its' size. For big gains it'll be cheaper to swap motors if your autocross rules allow it (don't forget that an L16 can be classed as a stock motor from Japan).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The local wrecking yard has quiet a few L series engines. This sounds like the way to go. I think it would be better to just buy 510. I haven't seen many here in Utah for sale.

> I think a 210 is the same as a
> 120Y here in Australia. I used
> to have a '76 120Y and used about four
> different motors over time. The first few
> were A series motors - the
> original A12 1.2L motor, and A14 1.4L and an
> A15 1.5L. All basically the same block - the
> A15 has a slightly higher deck height.

> The original A12 will rev well and produced
> 1 hp per cubic inch in stock form!
> Unfortunately it only has ~70ci and about
> 71hp (in Australian spec.). Torque is
> lacking.

> My last motor was an L16 1.6L motor from a
> 1600 (510 in US?). This is
> basically a 4-cylinder 240Z motor - pistons,
> bore, stroke, valves etc. are all the same,
> just two less cylinders.

> In Japan, most cars have half a dozen engine
> options out of the factory. The L16 was an
> optional engine in the 120Y/210, so you'll
> find the chassis already has the correct
> (currently unused) holes drilled to mount a
> cross member from a 180B (I don't know the
> US designation for this model, but it was
> the L18 fitted car with semi-trailing IRS
> that came after the 1600/510). This will
> give you bigger brakes and struts that are
> suitable for larger wheels and tyres. I ran
> 185/65SR13's, but 14 rims would fit
> with low tyres. Track width of the 180B is
> larger, so you'll need to either fit shorter
> lower control arms from a 510, or variable
> camber adjusters - but it can be done with
> entirely stock parts if you've got a good
> wrecker (junk yard?) nearby.

> I've been told that the solid axle from a
> 510 wagon is the correct track width for a
> 120Y/210.

> There would be no technical impediment to
> fitting an L20 2.0L motor. Some Rally cars
> did so here. For inspiration, look at a
> Datsun 1200 (predecessor of the 120Y/210)
> fitted with a modern CA18
> DOHC/turbo/intercooled motor at:

>
> <A HREF=http://www.sssautomotive.com.au/nissan/ca181201.gif>http://www.sssautomotive.com.au/nissan/ca181201.gif</A>
> This type of conversion is becoming popular
> over here as we have cheap access to used
> Japanese performance motors - my 240Z
> relevant post about performance motors is
> at:

> <A HREF=http://zcar.com/forums/z1/?read>http://zcar.com/forums/z1/?read</A> =13802
> (Re: 2.6 skyline engine swap?)

> Anyway, the A12/A14 motor already produces
> competent horsepower for its' size. For big
> gains it'll be cheaper to swap motors if
> your autocross rules allow it (don't forget
> that an L16 can be classed as a stock
> motor from Japan).
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top