ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it's a turbo BTW, so headers are out of the question.....

if I install it as is, the bolt holes still line up..... however I have blown a few gaskets already....

I have an oxy-accetelene torch...

I'm planning to use two pri-bars and bend the manifold back while heating it up to the point of glowing.....

has anyone ever tried this?

I don't think any new manifolds are avalible, and I don't have cash to spend on one from nissan right now..... any manifold I get from the wreckers is going to be in the same shape, I'm sure....

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
One way to fix it (LONG)

Try this.

Find a steel I beam 10"H X 6"W X 8" longer that the manifold. Clean and polish with an angle grinder the straightest surface of the I beam. You can check straightness by putting motor oil on the surface you are working on and then place a piece of window glass on the oiled surface. The high and low spots will be very evident. This does not have to be perfect just the best you can.

Center the manifold gasket on the I beam and mark the location of the manifold bolt holes. Drill the holes in the I beam.

Clean the surface of the manifold. Do the oil / glass process on the exhaust manifold and mark the low spots.

Lets say that you discover that the manifold is fairly straight between ports 2 through 6 but it is warped between 2 and 1.

Put the glass back on the manifold (no oil this time) and measure the gap between the two pieces. Lets say you measure .020 inch for port 1.

Find a bunch of steel washers as close to .020 thick as you can.

There are 10 bolts that hold the manifold on the head so for this procedure bolt # 1 is at the front of the head and bolt # 10 is at the back of the head.

Put one washer on the I beam for each bolt hole # 3 through # 10. Now place the manifold on the washers and insert the bolts and install nuts on the bolts. If you use 10 mm bolts torque # 3 through # 10 to 30 ft-lb. Follow the sequence 5-6-4-7-3-8-10-9.

Measure the distance between port 1 and the surface of the I beam (it should be around .040). Install bolts with nuts in holes # 1 and # 2 and torque to 10 ft-lbs.

Heat the manifold between ports 2 and 1 until cherry red then torque bolts # 1 and # 2 to 20 ft-lbs. and check the rest using the above sequence to 30 ft-lbs.

Reheat the manifold as above and torque bolts # 1 and # 2 to 30 ft-lbs. and check the rest using the above sequence to 30 ft-lbs.

Allow to cool for thirty minutes naturally (do not put water on it). Check the torque to 35 ft-lbs. follow this new sequence 5-6-4-7-3-8-2--9-1-10.

Allow to cool until you can touch it without fear of burning your self and then cool with a water soaked rag.

Wayne Monteath
Masham, Quebec.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.