ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
theres a couple more little questions i have on my car(besides the ones on my suspension(see previous posts)) I have an '80 280zx. when starting completely cold, you have to turn it over about 10 times before it will go, then it idles rough until you start driving it, then it clears right up. I dont have exhaust on it past the cat right now because of a little incident with catching the muffler on some railroad tracks... could that be a factor? or possibly a clogged fuel filter? Im also wondering how to get more power out of the engine without really adding much money. could i get rid of some of the smog control stuff? I need more power because its kinda embarresing when you get beat in a race against a honda CRX... any help any of you can give would be appreciated. Im sure I'll have more questions later...

-Jeff

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Maybe the connectors to the cold start valve are corroded, or the cold start valve needs to be replaced.

A Z low on power usually just needs to be gone over. All the FI electrical connectors in the engine cleaned or replaced, a complete tune up given, including adjusting the timing and the valves. This "should" produce good results, and replace the air filter while you're at it.

Steve G

·
Registered
364 Posts
A little incident with the Tracks.....

I loved that part!!!!! Would you mind telling me just alittle bit more about how that happened.... I would like to really know...

Steve's right on the money.... cleaning and tuning will do the trick.... beat by a crx.... wow.. I've never seen that happen.

Good Luck,
Dennis

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: A little incident with the Tracks.....

IF your car is not in decent running order, I could see getting beat by a CRX, especially if it was an SI model. Those are faster than any non-VTEC Prelude out there. But, with a little work here and there, air Graber K&N setup, new exhaust, hotter coil, etc, you should be able to whip the pants of those commuter cars on steroids!

Happy motoring
Joe (not a Honda advocate)

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what happened at the tracks.

I have low profile tires on my car which makes it even lower than it already is, and the tracks were right at the peak of a steep little hill mound thing and the suspension bottomed out cuz i was goin kinda quick and i guess it was just enough to grab my muffler and send it flying down the road behind me.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: going kinda quick... hmmmm.

you mean FLYING!?

That reminds me of a tragic story involving my 78 Fiat Spyder 2000 Turbo. I loaned it to a friend who took it flying over some tracks, the kinda tracks that have a real nice big RAMP on each side, but I guess he missed the tracks (since he was AIRBORNE!) and landed at the bottom of the hill on the other side impacting the oil pan into the oil pickup and snapping it off. So then the pump cavitated and the engine and turbo siezed up after a few miles because the bozo didn't see the oil warning light in his face! BUT I'M NOT BITTER! He didn't pay a penny to help me rebuild it either. Some friend. Well, that's college for ya.

Steve

·
Registered
650 Posts
actually, although i hate to say it about a Z, the zx n/a cars were not that fast. a hopped up h**da can take one easy. now a hopped up Zx is a different story.

yes you can get rid of the smog crap if you want, and pay close to $200 every two years to have it smogged under the table.

however, in all truthfullness, i noticed no difference (other that an impovement in looks) when i stripped the smog crap out of my car.

what you should do is start off with the basics. street port/polish, 3 angle valve job, raise your compression if you have n/a. upgrade your intake (when at the track, try removing the filter and putting a pair of pantyhose in its place) of course the stock exhaust has to go. and dont waste money on octane boosters, you can drop a hand full of mothballs into your tank and get the same effect. (good ol pappy taught me this old hot rodder trick).

and most important, dont get discouraged if you get beat by a h**da, now a days they are getting faster. especially since import aftermarket companies are mainly focused on them hotrod H**da's. just my $.02 =)

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hehe...i dont have a smog limit here...

I live in wisconsin and as far as i know there is no smog testing. None of my familys cars have had to been tested for 30 years, so smog isnt really a problem i guess. All my friends with mustangs and camaros, have all the smog stuff removed, and pretty much straight exhaust... the only place that gets you in trouble is when you break the noise level... . About the slowness of my car though, its great once you get into 3rd at about 3200rpms, but off the line i get smashed every time. once moving i can do ok though, i raced a chrysler sebring lx '99 from a 30mph speed and we stayed dead even, and that engine is a bigger than mine. ill probly do the little high performance you mentioned if i ever get the money to get it done. If i transplanted an engine out of a 240z would that be a lot quicker? Im getting a parts z this weekend so ill see what i can do with it... I was just thinking... would removing the smog stuff effect the performance adversly? because its all computer controled and the fuel mixture is regulated by the smog sensors... just a thought...

-jeff

·
Registered
650 Posts
RE: hehe...i dont have a smog limit here...

actually, im not to familiar with the zx but doesnt it run off of computer? removing the smog stuff might actually affect the performance for you car for the worse, unless you have the computer worked on also.

dont put a 240 motor into a zx, you would be defeating the purpose of the engine swap =) now if you dropped a zx motor into a 240 and stripped all the f/i out and dropped some triple side drafts in there, then thats a different story. =)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.