ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is why the ZX motor is rated a net HP of 145 and a Z at 135. What is the difference in the motors or setup that resulted in the extra HP?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
The 240Z has a 2.4L engine the 260Z a 2.6L 280Z and ZX 2.8L and 300ZX 3.0L

Jeff 280ZXT

·
Registered
96 Posts
Re: Don't think so.

> My question is why the ZX motor is rated a
> net HP of 145 and a Z at 135. What is the
> difference in the motors or setup that
> resulted in the extra HP?

I've actually seen it published the other way around. According to Essential Datsun Z 240Z-280ZX the 280 had 149 BHP vs 135BHP for the ZX. Funny though, I've seen these figures juxtaposed many times in references to the cars. My car is a 78 with a factory emblem under the hood indicating 170 hp. I have no idea what how that converts to NET. So, which is it? My guess is the engines are identically built, but that with additional emmisions and luxury adds, 14 hp didn't make it to the rear wheels.

???
Did they put a smog pump on the ZX?
How much HP does the power steering rob?
Any other bolt-ons ???

Hope this helps,

MAtt

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: Youre all wrong

> I've actually seen it published the other
> way around. According to Essential
> Datsun Z 240Z-280ZX the 280 had 149
> BHP vs 135BHP for the ZX. Funny though, I've
> seen these figures juxtaposed many times in
> references to the cars. My car is a 78 with
> a factory emblem under the hood indicating
> 170 hp. I have no idea what how that
> converts to NET. So, which is it? My guess
> is the engines are identically built, but
> that with additional emmisions and luxury
> adds, 14 hp didn't make it to the rear
> wheels.

> ???
> Did they put a smog pump on the ZX?
> How much HP does the power steering rob?
> Any other bolt-ons ???

> Hope this helps,

> MAtt
280s from 77-81 have identical HP although testing #s may differ .82-83 have more HP due to a compression increase.They also switched from motor to wheel HP around 79

·
Registered
680 Posts
> The 240Z has a 2.4L engine the 260Z a 2.6L
> 280Z and ZX 2.8L and 300ZX 3.0L

> Jeff 280ZXT

well the last one Jeff is wrong it was a v6 nissan never made a inline 300

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
You took it wrong L is the size. From 84 nissan made a 3.0L V6

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I also saw an original sales brochure the other day that claimed my '82 280ZX would get 30 mpg on the highway. Hah! Don't believe everything you read.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Well now, I have an 83 N/A, and with about 350# of people, 100# of luggage and 80# tool box my brother and I made a trip that usually take 2:45 hours into a 1:50. We averaged roughly 130-135. On the way back wekinda diverted a cop. I figured out my gas mileage and it was about 29. Now that is the same car I get 21 around town in. I just changed engines, but the one that was in it had over 200K on it. Nothing modified except headers at that time. Maybe you just need a little tune up? I have not done my new engine, but in the city I am getting about the same. I do not have an O2 sensor on it, I manually adjusted the setup and it runs rich a little, but alwell, the header did not have a place for the sensor, so I welded a mount in the collector but it does not get hot enough to work, it has to be something like 650 degrees before it starts orking. I NEED a heated one. Oh, no cat either.
Joshua L.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Re: All Wrong? Are you sure?

> 280s from 77-81 have identical HP although
> testing #s may differ .82-83 have more HP
> due to a compression increase.They also
> switched from motor to wheel HP around 79

Z Man,

Hmm. You're all wrong is a pretty confident assertion. Do you have any sources to back it up? I gave one and here's another:

<A HREF=Http://datsun.com/index1.html>Http://datsun.com/index1.html</A>. Once to this page, click on the image of the z-car and that will take you to a spec page for each model. I know there are some other references out there that I have found. I'll try to locate them and point you in their direction, if you're interested.

Now that's said, I would love to be corrected if wrong. I'm just going on what I've read, and everything that I've read which seemed to be ligitimately published tech specs, whatever the **** that's supposed to mean showed the ZX's NET HP less than the 280 Z's.

I didn't know that the later model ZXs had higher compression. I've read that the turbo motor has slightly less compression, for obvious reasons.

Any feedback is encouraged!!!

Standing by my post,

Matt

·
Registered
100 Posts
I get 30mpg and rem angel flights!

Umm, I get 30mpg on highway and usually 25-28 around town and that 21 gallon tank is wonderful! It's a non-modified 81zx n/a gl. I also love the 4 wheel disk brakes, especially after driving a few of the older z's. I sure would love to have a 240, though. I've had 2 260's a 76 280 and now the zx. Had this one about 4 years. As much as I love the old ones, It's nice sometimes to just set the cruise, crank up the cd player and not worry. It's smooth and quite. Yet heading up the windy mountain road to my house I can let it fly!

OK how does this relate to net vs gross hp!

rbest

·
Registered
432 Posts
Re: I get 30mpg and rem angel flights!

> Umm, I get 30mpg on highway and usually
> 25-28 around town and that 21 gallon tank is
> wonderful! It's a non-modified 81zx n/a gl.
> I also love the 4 wheel disk brakes,
> especially after driving a few of the older
> z's. I sure would love to have a 240,
> though. I've had 2 260's a 76 280 and now
> the zx. Had this one about 4 years. As much
> as I love the old ones, It's nice sometimes
> to just set the cruise, crank up the cd
> player and not worry. It's smooth and quite.
> Yet heading up the windy mountain road to my
> house I can let it fly!

> OK how does this relate to net vs gross hp!

> rbest

Rbest, you're getting old!!! Listen to all that talk about cd's and cruise control, not to mention gas mileage, for crying out loud. I'll bet your biceps are getting flabby from using that girlie power steering, too!!!! you forgot to mention your cup holder.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.