ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No one has been able to tell me conclusively if I can/cannot use my automatic ecu when I change out to a 5 speed. I don't see what differences could exist with the exception of some kind of kick-down sensor or something. The ecu does not have any connection to the transmission.

·
Registered
381 Posts
You are absolutly correct! No differnce.
Just make sure you connect up the neutral switch, otherwise you won't be abe to engage the starter.
Oh ya, you need to rewire the back up lamp switch also.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
The automatice ECU has a different fuel management/performance curve in it. I believe the RPMs are lower with manual in 5th than with the auto in high gear. This could make a performance difference.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I put an automatic ecu in my 5 speed about a year ago. Both from the same year and both were turbos. Everything seems to work fine, I didn't mess with a neutral safety switch or anything, just unplugged one and plugged in the other. Could not tell any degrade in performance, but then again I drove with the car intermentally stalling on me for so long (from the bad computer) that I may have been so happy that it was running reliably that I wouldn't have noticed a performance decrease anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.