ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of you are familiar with my 240ZT. If not, here's the link. Here's the scoop. About 6 months ago, I fried numerous pistons (cheap aftermarket castings + lean mix causing detonation). It still runs, but only on 5 cylinders, and the others have serious blow-by. I have $1500.00 to play with. Should I:

a. purchase another set of cheap cast pistons ($125.00) with the knowledge that they won't last and use the rest of the money for some sort of aftermarket programmable EFI (i'm still running the stock 280ZXT EFI).

b. spend the big bucks on a set of forged pistons and use the rest for a 150hp shot of nitrous (hehe).

What's your suggestion? Keep in mind I need to buy a set of pistons regardless to get this engine running again. BTW, the lean mix problem was fixed with a Corky Bell rising rate FPR. Thanks.

Ian

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
My plan is as follows:

Get the cast pistons, and the EFI setup.
Burn CAST pistons until you get teh fuel maps down and get the hang of tweaking the new EFI computer.
It's almost sacreligious to waste parts, but I'd MUCH rather fry cheap parts while learning, and then put the good stuff in later, once it's dialed in!

I am in the EXACT same boat as you on this part of my project, Ian!

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
"Send it to ME!" n/m

That was the obvious answer, but I had to post the helpful response first...

· Registered
110 Posts
Re: duh...the link to my site...

that was a zcar of the month right?
how many horses do you think you pushin out of that engine must be a pretty fast car, eh?
i would go with the the cast pistons first because then when you get the computer you can run a little richer without worrying about frying the crappy pistons.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.