ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have everything I need to change the manifold gasket, but I am not sure where all of the bolts are. My book says to remove the intake manifold first. The only bolts I can see are the ones on top. There are more right? Where are they? The book doesn't tell me much more than that. No pictures or anything. I have a mirror but I still can't see anything. One more thing, will the exhaust manifold bolts be easy to see once the intake is off, and where are they(how many)?

Thanks, any help greatly aprecciated. I tried the archives, but couldn't find anything.

Leslie Lord...

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
> I can't recall how many bolts there are holding these but as I remember there are lots and lots of them. Some are bolts and some are studs with nuts holding on. Oh and also some studs are holding both the intake and the Exhaust.
Sorry I can't be of more help.
Good luck!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Leslie,
These are the fun ones, the bottom ones. The easiest thing I have found is to have your girlfriend (small hands) do it:) Take the heat sheilds off first from the bottom of the intake manifold. That is the hardest part I think. Your back will get tired and your knees will hurt when you are done. The heat shields can usually be gotten with extensions and a socket from the bottom. Once these are off, I use an extension and swivel (u-joint) to get most of the rest of the bolts out from the bottom, done by feel. These are either 12 or 13's, I do not remember. Also have those sizes in open end wrenches, as you can not get a few with the socket. Mirrors are hard to use for this, I just used feel and took my time. To get all of these loose takes about half an hour usually. some of the bolts hold both the intake and exhaust. After you lift the intake straight up (don't remove the bolts on the bottom completely, lay it upside down on foam or something on the fender area. By the way, the first thing you should have done was label and remove all the vaccuum lines. Not the injection setup, just the vaccuum. The top 14mm's on the intake can be gotten with the same u-joint and extension. With the intake out of the way, the exhaust is very easy to get off the head. You probably do not even need to remove it from the down pipe. A few tips: Clean off all of the old gasket VERY well, you do not ant to do this again. I used the spray on copper gasket stuff on the felpro gasket, and even with my header it has held up very good, no leaks. After you have the exhaust back on, put the two end nuts on, then the three middle bolts(you will understand when you get it apart, then put the rest of the sharing bolts in loosily so that the intake can be set down, put the top four bolts in, then tighten the last sharing bolts. Make you get them all, take your time. It helps to have two or three elbows on the same arm and to have a jaws-of-life power in the fore arms. You can do it. Good luck. If you have any more questions, just ask. Sorry this is so long.
Joshua L.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the info. My brother is going to help me(smaller hands). I told him how is it will be :). I am not doing it until I get a nice warm weekend. It started snowing today just after I decided not to try it yet.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the info. My brother is going to help me(smaller hands). I told him how is it will be :). I am not doing it until I get a nice warm weekend. It started snowing today just after I decided not to try it yet.

·
Registered
680 Posts
U have the same z as I do. what about the Turbo what are u going to use as the gasket of is there one? I m getting ready to mine but the auto part store could not find a turbo gasket? but other people are telling me u need the turbo Gasket?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
> U have the same z as I do. what about the
> Turbo what are u going to use as the gasket
> of is there one? I m getting ready to mine
> but the auto part store could not find a
> turbo gasket? but other people are telling
> me u need the turbo Gasket?

I will probably try making my own gasket out of gasket material if I can't find one. I forgot to ask at the auto parts store when I got the manifold gasket. If it doesn't hold it would be easy to replace.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.