ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy GOD! wow, If this is what bolt ons can do for this motor, I am impressed, especially for a 25 yr old car!

just a short recap.. Maxima N47 with 280ZX N47 intake valves, minor port cleanup, blended exhaust bowl into liner. 260Z "C" stamp camshaft (same lift as P79 cam, but 256 degrees of duration. cone filter intake. 60MM 240sx TB, intake hogged out to match, injector hold down "bumps" removed from intake as well as port matched. intake an exhaust manifold off of a 1980 280zx, with no EGR fittings, not even from the factory!

set valve lash, set initial timing at 15 degrees BTDC, set idle using throttle stop on 240sx TB. re routed valve cover breather into manifold, using custom AFM to TB boot.

anyways, this car is a 1980 280ZX 2 + 2, with a 5spd. motor was a '82 F54/P79. kept stock bottom end and cleaned carbon off piston tops, FelPro head gasket.
(o.k., so that was a not-so-short recap, lol! )

This car hauls ass! Its downright dangerous to drive on these rain soaked, leaf covered roads. I mashed the throttle at 1500rpms, rolling in 1st, INSTANT sideways, same with 2nd! and its wasn't even warmed up yet! Its got a lot more low end, and a lot more highend. probably has something to do with the 10.7:1 compression. and the cam! and I am getting my NEW 2.5in madrel bent exhaust installed later today, then it'll really fly!

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Sweeeet! Keep up the good work!

Dave

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
happy happy joy joy happy happy joy joy

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
my 4 cylinder 85 HP 71 Ford Pinto can get sideways in the rain in all 4 gears. what was your point again?

Post Edited (Oct 16, 4:12pm)

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
LOL

I missed the leaf covered part of that Steve.

Man if I got my Pinto on some wet leaves I would be sliding forever. It would feel like a indy car for sure....

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Oh my God, drifting in a Pinto. I shudder at the thought.

Dave

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Hey when I was a teen, I used to drift my (butt ugly) Opel kadett all the time. It the the 110HP 1.9L "rallye" package! :)

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
geeze, you guys are dicks! seriously. I said it was DANGEROUS to drive on a wet road, not fun. theres a big difference. it was wet at the time, I would have driven it on a dry peice of street and gotten the same results if there had been one within 100 miles of fargo, ND.

seriously, you think I dont know the difference between real power and a freaking 85 hp pinto?!?!?!? this is my 9th (maybe 10th, I lose track...) Z car, I think I know what they are capable of and what kind of horse power is above and beyond what would be commonplace for a "stocker" . anyone can get a car sideways on a damp road with a little clutch work (for pintos anyways) but doing it by just romping on the gas, from a high idle? and I HAVE driven it on the dry street now, and I can get WHEELSPIN, not scratch, into 3rd gear.

It tachs out a helluva lot faster than stock, its got more low end grunt as well as wayyyyy more high end power, and it accelerates like a ******* on the highway, thats where it really shines.

The purpose of this build is to see what can be done with stock parts from other cars, or so called junkyard gems, and to see what can be done with a dremel and some time. I can honestly say that the cam was worth the month it took to find it. The head provides power all over the rev range. I cant wait for my 2.5in exhaust, that will be the icing on the cake. I bet it would beat briann510's 240Z and a few other cars on this board, even tho its a portly and ugly 2+2, lol!!

McAdam

·
Super Moderator
41,005 Posts
I shall withold further comment...

a Dyno works something to see how much work it is capable of...

So I shudder every time I see that phrase "Butt Dyno"...

Sounds like something in a garage somewhere in the Castro District in SanFrancisco...

I digress, I could contain that comment no longer, I had to say it, dude!

LOL

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
well ill be ****! a "butt" dyno! now i get it... Duh!

sometimes i amaze myself at what i miss in nomenclature.

feel of the pants dont mean squat!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
**** the internet and its refusal to transmit sarcasm!!!! I do actually plan to get it dyno'd soon. next time AZ240sx.org has a dyno day, Im all over that like flies on, well you know.....

My exhaust is FINALLY getting installed today! no more crappy 1 and 7/8ths crush bent for me, HA ha! plus, Ive got to get around to installing that M30 stuff with the repprogrammed ECU. I had someone "chip" it for SVO's and make a timing curve that will compliment the extra duration and compression. i know, 370cc's is overkill.... oh well..... >:)

I think Im gonna go with a colt cams regrind. he offers a 256 degree duration with like, .440 in of lift, which he says is about the limit of what a (stock) FI system will handle with its feeble little electronic brain. all in all, I think I can hit somewhere around 175rwhp when Im finished. which should be **** good for a streeter. and yes, i realize that adding 50rwhp over stock is a bit much, but hey, Tony, if your car has close to 150rwhp with a 60mm and 2.5in crush bent, I should be gunning 175 with not too much more hassle.

McAdam

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.