ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1987 na 5 speed 2 seater that misses real bad at idle, and has a slight hesitation upon acceleration. previous owner thought the cat was clogged, so he punched a hole in her. ive replaced plugs, wires, dist cap. i cant keep her running long enough to time her. i also have to keep my foot on the gas at a stop sign to keep her running. when she is idling good enough to stay running, rpm's jump around to anywhere from 300 to 800 rpm. any help is greatly appreciated. im going on friday to get the cat replaced, but im not 100% sure that a clogged cat would create this kind of problem

·
Registered
805 Posts
Could be the AAC valve or IAA unit which is part of the idle system.

That requires a manual to really get the concept. You can replace the whole thing for $115 or so. Or, just clean it like I did. However, my cousin is a NISSAN mechanic and said you can try but the problem will return. He was right. It is less hassle to just buy a new one. I cleaned mine just to make sure it was the problem before I went out and bought a need one. But, if you don't have the money you might be able to get away with a cleaning for the time being. It doesn't work perfectly after you clean it like a new one would and it takes like 20mins to take appart and clean. You do not want to lose any of the parts inside. I took it completely apart and found a lot of carbon, soot etc... that would not allow the ball/slider(don't remember) inside there to move around. I just sprayed Gumout on it to clean it and brushed the parts with a small soft brush. I think I used a very fine sandpaper 1000 or so to clean up the last of the carbon on the faces. Then fortunately, my gasket was still good or I would have had to order that from NISSAN.

It proved the point .... I ordered the part and two weeks later the new part came in. This allowed me to run the car for the two weeks while waiting for the part.

I hope this is it for you since it took me a long time to figure out what the problem was. I should have just asked my cousin.

You might want to do a search on it.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am having a problem fixed on my 89' Z right now. The problem is causing: poor gas mileage, poor idle and little throttle response among other things. Supposedly it is a sensor that records coolant temperature and relays this info to the car's computer. When bad, the computer cannot tell if the car is hot or cold causing it to run rich as if it were in 'cold start mode' all the time: if that makes any sense. Ill let ya know what happens. O2 sensor not a bad idea either as a potential fix. Later.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.