ZCar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The car is my 1983 280ZX Turbo. I've gone through a lot while having the valves done and new seals added, had all fuel injectors tested, and had it gone over for air/vacuum leaks. New NGK plugs, new wires. Distributor cap and rotor are within 5,000 miles of new.

It's running beautifully until around 4K RPM. Above that engine speed, it's missing and losing power. it's a bit better after getting fully heated and a few highway miles, but I can feel the missing. It just doesn't pull with any power between 4K and 5K.

After some thought, I'm wondering if it might be running out of fuel. Might be a bad/partly plugged filter (although that only has about 1500 miles on it) or not enough fuel delivery.

Any additional thoughts about what to check on this car?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Darn. No thoughts yet. Well, if someone cones up with ideas, I'll be pleased to hear them.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Well, off the top of my head, I would tend to agree that fuel feed is the most likely issue.

I would change the fuel filter first, but don't throw it away. If changing makes a difference, I'd cut the old one open to sample the obstruction, realizing that a rusty tank would be the most likely issue.

Of course, there are possible complications to this scenario. If the tank is shedding rust, the fuel pump may have obstruction issues as well.

Still, one bridge at a time.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comeback. I'm traveling this week, so my next chance to try this will be Monday. I'll post what I find out.

I had the tank pulled and cleaned a year ago when the car went back on the road, so if I find gunk in the filter, I will be surprised.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts