ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday morning the car was running great, then #1 started to miss, then #2 and finally the front 3 cylinders stopped firing altogether. I tried new plugs, new wires, new cap and rotor, I tried adjusting TPS, I tried adjusting AFM, I checked coil it's ok, and I have spark at all 6 cylinders. I also put a screwdriver tip on each injector and they all are clicking the same. I pulled the rail off with the injectors and the supply and return lines still attached and gave each injector 7.9 volts and each of them is spraying. Although they aren't misting, they look more like they are taking a piss, a real strong straight stream.

I put the rail back on the car after verifying each injector was working and the **** car ran great for about 30 seconds and then it lost #1, then #2 and then #3!!!!

What is going on here!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Re: Smitten by the engine problem god

> Yesterday morning the car was running great,
> then #1 started to miss, then #2 and finally
> the front 3 cylinders stopped firing
> altogether. I tried new plugs, new wires,
> new cap and rotor, I tried adjusting TPS, I
> tried adjusting AFM, I checked coil it's ok,
> and I have spark at all 6 cylinders. I also
> put a screwdriver tip on each injector and
> they all are clicking the same. I pulled the
> rail off with the injectors and the supply
> and return lines still attached and gave
> each injector 7.9 volts and each of them is
> spraying. Although they aren't misting, they
> look more like they are taking a piss, a
> real strong straight stream.

> I put the rail back on the car after
> verifying each injector was working and the
> **** car ran great for about 30 seconds and
> then it lost #1, then #2 and then #3!!!!

> What is going on here!!!

Steve,

You've been smitten by the engine problem god. I honestly can't believe the manure you've had to shovel lately. Anyway, you have my sympathy.

I don't know what's wrong, but you're injectors should be misting, not streaming. And I would think that would totally screw up the combustion. Perhaps they've become clogged, from your bad gas problem you had. I think I remember reading that's what caused your valve troubles. Maybe the reason it didn't manifest until now is because something recently cut loose in the fuel line.

Were all six injectors streaming?

The good news is, you'll figure this one out, too. I just hope it's your last one for a while. I really want to see some new paint on that car.

Good luck. I hate that phrase.

Matt

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Smitten by the engine problem god

> Steve,

> You've been smitten by the engine problem
> god. I honestly can't believe the manure
> you've had to shovel lately. Anyway, you
> have my sympathy.

> I don't know what's wrong, but you're
> injectors should be misting, not streaming.
> And I would think that would totally screw
> up the combustion. Perhaps they've become
> clogged, from your bad gas problem you had.
> I think I remember reading that's what
> caused your valve troubles. Maybe the reason
> it didn't manifest until now is because
> something recently cut loose in the fuel
> line.

> Were all six injectors streaming?

> The good news is, you'll figure this one
> out, too. I just hope it's your last one for
> a while. I really want to see some new paint
> on that car.

> Good luck. I hate that phrase.

> Matt

Well look at the bright side, at least half of your engine works. If you were driving a Geo, there would be no problem. Just kidding.
I had a similar problem a month ago. What I ended up doing was removing each injector and forcing about 50lb of air through them using a rubber tipped knozzle on my air compresser and an elec.source to open them up. This method may not be the best way, but worked for me to clean (maybe I should say force) all the crap that clogs injectors.
JN

·
Registered
972 Posts
The first thing to check is that you have power at the dropping resistors. They are behind the windshield washer tank. My diagram shows the wires should be yellow and blue. All the others wires should have power also when the car is ON. If this is true, then you need to check if the injectors are firing. Go to the autoparts store and get a fuel injector test bulb.

The other thing you mentioned is that the car will run for a little while after being started. This is probably because of the cold start injector and cold start enrichment.

I also agree with the others, injectors should spray, not piss.

> Yesterday morning the car was running great,
> then #1 started to miss, then #2 and finally
> the front 3 cylinders stopped firing
> altogether. I tried new plugs, new wires,
> new cap and rotor, I tried adjusting TPS, I
> tried adjusting AFM, I checked coil it's ok,
> and I have spark at all 6 cylinders. I also
> put a screwdriver tip on each injector and
> they all are clicking the same. I pulled the
> rail off with the injectors and the supply
> and return lines still attached and gave
> each injector 7.9 volts and each of them is
> spraying. Although they aren't misting, they
> look more like they are taking a piss, a
> real strong straight stream.

> I put the rail back on the car after
> verifying each injector was working and the
> **** car ran great for about 30 seconds and
> then it lost #1, then #2 and then #3!!!!

> What is going on here!!!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
God is testing my PATIENCE!!!

Thanks for the replies guys. I just want you to know that Saturday morning before this new problem cropped up, I had my baby out on the road and when all cylinders are firing she KICKS ASS!!! I let John Washington take her around the block and he says it's one of the strongest N/A's he's ever driven! COOL!

On to the problem...

All 6 injectors are clicking so I'm confident that they are firing and so I'm ruling out the dropping resistors. I'm beginning to suspect a fuel pressure problem. My rationalization is that if there isn't enough pressure in the fuel rail then the fuel stream would not atomize properly.

Also, I thought maybe it was the fuel pressure regulator, So I started her up this morning and after it warmed up a bit I clamped off the fuel return line to the tank. That didn't make ANY difference.

My next step is to do a compression check on the front 3 cylinders and also put a fuel pressure gauge inline just after the fuel filter. I am also going to replace the fuel filter. If that doesn't work, I'm going to remove the injectors and run acetone and 50 psi of compressed air through them with a 9v power source.

Any more suggestions?

Steve Graber

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.