ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
7,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got a '77 280Z the other day the motor has a loud slapping sound. I pulled the valve cover today the rocker arm on the #2 intake valve was really loose, tightened it back up and it still slapped around. took it back off took a closer look and it looks different the the rest. looked at my MSA catalog with the diagram its says thats the lash pad(the top of the spring retainer is al chewed up). The valve doesnt appear to be moving at all which explains what could be the slapping sound.

Am I on the right track? I guess this means to fix this I would have to pull the head and buy alot parts right? If thats the case I'm giving up on this motor and putting my 83zxt motor in(the original plan).

Justin T
'77 280Z
'80 280ZX

· Registered
4,034 Posts
I dropped the lash pad after some real stupid driving like 75mph in 2nd gear.............. (I was younger then) I put a lash back on but never was right so I took the head off and mod it. I would try putting the las pads back in, may be spring retainer too.

· Registered
7,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would put it back on bt its no where to be found which is probably the big problem a piece of metal like that going trought the engine block couldnt be good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.