ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i this is this is a good way to limit the amount of metal particles that are floating around in ur oils.i have taken computer h/drives apart and removed the very strong magnets and positioned them around the drain pugs, i also bouhght a magnetic drain plug, . put the mags on the trans , crank pans.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Magnetic drain plugs work nicely with alloy housings as fitted to manual trannys and the diff.

Since the engine has a filtering system, I would prefer to let the filter handle most of those little bits. The bits too fine to be trapped in the filter should get drained with the oil, whether the particles are ferrous or not.
I suspect that if you fit powerful magnets to the oil pan, there is a chance that part of the pan will itself become magnetised and when the time comes to drain the oil, ferrous metal particles may prefer to stay at the sludged magnetised pan area instead of drain out.
Maybe fancy magnets on the filter can might get around this possibility. Doesn't someone already market some magnet system to wrap a filter can with?

Some magnets on an auto tranny pan would not be a bad idea since the pan normally has to be removed to change the oil and filter. This gives the opportunity to manually wipe out the pan where it might itself become magnetised.

·
Registered
958 Posts
but how would you get rid of all the metal particle build up that is now all in one place in your oil pan. Now you have clumped it all together which in my oppinion seems like it could cause a bigger problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.