ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a '80 280zx. Its in pretty good shape besides i had to put a new clutch in it because the one in there wasnt even for that car. But I've got a little question about the suspension i thought maybe someone could help me with. When i get on the gas hard, the rear end squats really bad and my friends say the nose comes up quite a bit too. The other thing with that is I think the tires actually go at an angle when it squats that much because when i lay a patch its only about an inch wide, but really dark, so all i can figure is it goes on the inner edge when that happens. I notice in most from a dead stop, but also accelerating hard through the gears its very noticable. Is this by any chance a characteristic of independent suspension?(although i was always under the impression the tires were supposed to stay level... >=( ). Any help any of you could give id really appreciate. oh yeah, and theres a clunking from the rear end sometimes when i shift, is that the differential mount? thanks.

-Jeff

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
you have trailing arm suspension . Think of your car as a sports touring car. What it was made for. The squat can be lessioned only at the expence of ride quality.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
For starters, it sounds like your rear springs are shot. As far as inner tire wear, thats also a result of your fatigued springs. I believe the geometry of the ZXs rear suspension does "camber in" as the rear squats, however, you shouldn't be at the extreme limits of the suspension travel on a regular basis. As far as the rear clunking goes, check the universal joints of the drive shaft and half shafts, also check the mounting points of the rear subframe. Hope I helped.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Some "squat" is characteristic of the rear suspension of the trailing arm suspension on ZX's. If you are bottoming the suspension, you need to think springs and shocks. If the clunk you hear seems to come from center of the car (between the axles) chances are your rear diff mount is broken.
Good luck, you'll be suprised at how much better the car drives once its fixed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.