ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a lot of posts recently from new members. Welcome to a most informative site. There are a couple things you could do to help. Modify your signature with location, in case someone close by can help, and which car you own. A 70-78 Z is not the same as a 79-83 ZX and will not necessarily illicit the same answers. You could include the car in your subject line.

There is a search function on this site. many members just don't like covering a topic in detail to have the same question asked the following week by someone else. Search "this forum only" and at least 90 days if not all dates.

Try to be explicit in your explanation. We just do not understand poorly structured or grammatically incorrect sentences. Run on sentences just do not seem to get good results.

Enjoy the ride, it is an awesome car.

G

·
0 Posts
2nd the "spell goodly and to illicit clear understandings ore we's aintst goina to be underschtooding U 2day"

You all know how to speak and we encourage you to do so to the best of your abilities. As well, yes, we do understand that english is not always your first language and will do our best if you do the same.

Now, www.xenons130.com for the zx and www.xenons30.com for the z. Go there. Download the free copy of the factory service manual for your car and if applicable the fuel injection bible. Use them for basic troubleshooting first. Then ask away. Give us as much info as you can using real data rather than "I think maybe it might be....x ... because someone said so.."

And please remember, before some of you start demonstrating the attitudes, you came to us. You need our help. We will happily give it to you if we see you are indeed trying. But don't feel like we owe you advice, that you deserve it just because you are individual and don't get pissed if we don't tell you what you want to hear. Truth hurts some time.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Sometimes it's best to just walk away and not bother getting upset backlashing the stupidity. That being said, I'll throw in my two cents.

If you want help, you can form a proper sentence and provide as much detail possible. Anybody failing to take full advantage of their FREE 12 year education isn't worth my time. I'm not a special education teacher. If your "learning disability" kept you from grasping basic English in 12 years, learning how to troubleshoot and upgrade your Z over the Internet is probably not the way to go. Either find somebody locally to walk you through it, enroll in an automotive class at the community college, or drop your car off at the shop for repairs.

Leet speak is for online gaming, computer passwords, and nerdy bumper stickers. Aside from the occasional "LOL", intentional misspelling and poor grammar will not get you any cool points on this forum.

We understand that everyone has to start somewhere and not everyone has a large budget to work with, but if your car is held together by tie-wire and duct tape, don't expect us to help you build a supercar on a $1k budget. The reality of this hobby is that certain things cost money. If your plan is to bolt on a giant Ebay turbo and make 400hp, this forum is not the missing link to make it all work.

On a final note, don't come here with an attitude demanding answers. Save the attitude for the guys at the shop who are actually getting paid to put up with you...

·
Registered
678 Posts
"But eBay said that their giant turbo would give me 450 hp and it's only 100 bucks!"

I agree on the money part. In the last two years that I've owned z's I've figured out that it's better not to rush into things. Just wait for them to come to you. Or at least wait until you have enough money to FINISH the project.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This reminds me of a "men's league" I used to umpire. In the beginning there were guys 56 years old playing, some had been minor league and even major league pitchers. As years went by we got more "kids," you know the ones, in their mid to late 20's. The league became one of crybabies, they all wanted to be big hitters and couldn't take it if they struck out. The "men" went their own separate ways, leaving the kids to whine and the baseball was not nearly as good.

I hope that doesn't happen here. There are already quite a few knowledgeable folks I don't see on the forum like I used to. It really is a relatively easy car. Strange stuff happens but certainly it has happened to more than one of us. That communal knowledge we can tap into, if everyone sticks around.

Linluv, you give good advice. For some of you, regardless of what you "learned" in school, it is not cool to exhibit how inept you may be. Ask good questions and contribute when you can.

Oh, I ran across this site http://dictionary.reference.com/writing/styleguide/ it might serve some well.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
their keyboard?

There are many site s to go to for basic information. If you have a good question I'm sure someone here will field it.........but......

"Does my car have fuel injection?"

Are we seers now? ach ee double el, at least post a picture LOL

·
Super Moderator
6,412 Posts
Yes . It's hard to see from here.

I'll just roll out my crystal ball and get right back to you on what your car looks like!

·
Super Moderator
6,412 Posts
Search-Download the fsm-do this- do that-etc...

Lately I have seen several postings by newer guys bitchin about being told to read or check or go to the fsm. One I know of has taken offense to this and started arguements. What I don't get is when someone goes to the effort to provide a FREE download of the fsms( you know who you are) and someone else directs them to that site, why would they complain and start fights? These type of posers need to find a forum that welcomes lazy a$$ whiners who don't like their cars and need someone to change their diapers for them.
It becomes really discouraging to guys here who really try to help and direct them to the proper answer or solution.
So I want to take a second here to personally THANK the guys that have tirelessly tried to help the whiney babies that have no real purpose . You guys that are the real backbone and assets of this forum , you know who you are (whether currently posting or not) and I want to personally THANK YOU for all the help, tec tips and direction I have benifited from by reading your posts.My car is alive and well due to your help.I just want you to know that in this sometimes unappreciating world that You are very valuable and I appreciate every thing you've done. Many of you paved the way for us to fix our cars without losing or sanity. THANK YOU again!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Re: Search-Download the fsm-do this- do that-etc...

I don't mind the typical easy questions nearly as much as I dislike the whiners and people who get offended when told to download the FSM. I am more than happy to share my 25 years of Z knowledge with anybody who asks, but I am not going to remember every detail and all the torque values needed to complete the job. Bottom line is that the FSM is a MUST for any and all Z repairs even if the answers are given to the noobs.

I suggest everybody on this site should add the links to the FSM and Blue's Tech tips in their signature. That way, if the noobs even browse the site at all before asking a question, they will see the links and might actually find the answers on their own. If they still ask, we can simply reply with "the links you need are in my sig".

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Kids today...

I had to pay $100 for a hard copy of the FSM way back when. It wasn`t available for free downloads nor the $20 CD-ROM version you could buy from Courtesy Nissan. I think these people don`t know how easy they have it. ****, the internet wasn`t so widely used when I first got my Z so you had to go seek out people for their knowledge.

God I sound like an old man. Oh wait, I guess I am now.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Re: Kids today...

Wow, I don't remember ever seeing that page Easyguy. Thanks!

And yes, Ribby_Paultz, I own two original FSMs. I bought them back in the 1980's from the dealer and they weren't cheap. Compared to the online FSM, I'll take the hardcopy ones any day. I know exactly where to look and I can take it into the shop without worrying if I printed every page I might need that day. I can't count the number of times I've had to go inside and wash up so I could get on the computer and look up additional info I failed to print. My old FSMs might not be very clean anymore, but they are like gold to me.

What I like about the online FSMs is that I can check each and every year if I am trying to mix and match parts and electronics. Buying every paper FSM isn't possible or feasible.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Aw, come on! Doesn't anyone read these d*mn things? Why, back in my day, I would have LOVED a "Message to newbies" sticky!

·
Super Moderator
6,412 Posts
By looking at the recent tech posts from newbees , I would say that not one of them read this sticky. They should have to read all stickys and sign off on them when joining before be allowed to post for the first time.
Or we can continue to beat on them.
We have to get our kicks somehow!!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Methinks the beatings will have to continue zxtoy.

I WILL say that it's tough for a noob to search properly at times since they don't know the correct part names, so their searches don't return the results they are looking for. Then again, most questions are about tires sizes and car washes leading to revving limits...

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I still like..."What's the name of my Car?"

·
Super Moderator
41,003 Posts
No Sh*t?

zxtoy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> By looking at the recent tech posts from newbees ,
> I would say that not one of them read this sticky.
> They should have to read all stickys and sign off
> on them when joining before be allowed to post for
> the first time.
> Or we can continue to beat on them.
> We have to get our kicks somehow!!

I would say you're right.

I told you guys that beforehand. They won't change. The only way to enforce it is being an ******* like me. But since nobody wants to do that, you get the site we have today.

And now one of the 'good ones' has passed. I brings to mind that the real knowledgable people will go away permanently, if this place is to have any value, it's rules need to be enforced by the CULTURE not the MODERATORS.

If you don't have the balls to tell an idiot he's being an idiot. Or to call someone on a B.S. post, you're part of the problem!

I advocated in private with the moderators to get a PM system here, so guys who wanted to argue with ME speficifally could do so OFF THE FORUM. To this date, since the inception of the PM system, only TWO people have done so.

Which leads me to ask publically: What compels these people to argue with me IN PUBLIC? Because they want to trash 'The Big Dog' and give their pathetic little lives something to brag about, or to bring recognition to themselves. I note the particualrly bad ones go straight to making comments on post count, and then derive some ridiculous daily number of posts from the incorrect starting date. My average was 1.7 a day. That's right boys and girls, 1.7 posts a day.

The other thing I've advocated for AND RECEIVED NO SUPPORT AT ALL FROM LONG TIME FORUM MEMBERS, is a dropping of the DEFAULT that the SUBJECT LINE revert to the original post subject. So all these arguing noobs don't clutter up the search engine. THIS ONE THING IMPLEMENTED BY THE MODERATORS, to change the Default from that to a single punctuation mark unless the poster changes it himself (look at my posts and see how many I have that reverted to the default---kind of makes you think about who is really THINKING about what they are typing, doesn't it???) would be the SINGLE BEST THING TO HAPPEN TO THE SITE IN REGARDS TO PERMANENTLY SOLVING THE SEARCH ENGINE EXCUSE AND DIFFICULTIES.

But they fall on deaf ears here. Just like I said they wouldn't read the sticky.

The people coming here nowadays are brain dead morons, and have little compunction to use thought or restraint in their posts because nobody calls them on it. And benign idiots further it with 'lets all get along' and 'whatever works for you, man' attitudes. That's CAR TALK, not TECHNICAL. Technical is black and white, there IS a right and a wrong.

Chances are if you can't answer 'why' five times about what you are telling someone else to do, you likely don't know WTF you are talking about in the first place. Consider the thought that in this case, you should shut your pie hole and just LISTEN OR OBSERVE the conversation instead of imparting B.S. advice.

Oh, and the last thing that would be good for the site is to surgically attach electrodes to John H's testicles so that when he posts something mechanically inept and blatantly stupid, someone can send him a painful shock to get some proper behaviour patterning engrained in him. I will voulnetter for Shock Monitor. Gladly if it will stop his stupid comments on stuff he has no clue about!

I digress...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.