ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a mechanic install new headers about 4 months ago, and they have leaked every since (the gasket, not the headers themselves). He said he'd fix them, but last time i gave him my car, (for the header job and others) it was well over 2 and half weeks before he touched it, saying it would be done in less than 7 days from when i droped it off.

Having to borrow daddy's van when my car is down is not only annoying, but also rude to assume it'll always be there, whenever i need, so i need the 'down time' to be at a minium.

The current mechanic i'm using, who removed an old tranny, droped in a new one, and did a tune up/oil change in 2 days, says it'll take him 4 hours to do. that's pricy. I am not going to the old mechanic and making him pay for the job with the new mechanit, nor am i giving him my car again. But i do want the intake/exhaust gasket installed correctly. Is there a trick for just doing the gasket that'll make the job go quicker? This mechanic is not about cheating people, so he wouldn't charge me for 4 hours of labor if it were done in under 2 hours.
The headers, and the rest of the car, don't need to move more than enough to remove and replace the gasket, any tricks?

-Donald (76 280z)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Uhmmmmmm...

That is about a four hour job.
There is a lot of crap that has to come off to remove the old gasket.

Z cars are a pain in the butt for minor repairs.

Why don't you do it yourself?

You could have it done in a Saturday and have time to go out in the evening.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ugh, i'm tired of working on that car.
and the last time i touched it, the wheel fell off..... ): (don't ask, long story)

and i live with my grandmother, so of course i have no tools other than my small take everywhere craftsman toolchest. it'll be a 6-10 hour job for me, at least, having never done one before.

the lists of reasons go on and on, but there is 1 reason to get it done myself that is so big.... $$$

such a dilema ):

-Donald (76 280z) (currently running a 78 transmission, i like it!)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.