ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you measure boost on a 83ZXt? This is what I did. I hooked up a combo vacuum/pressure gauge at the boost amplifier vacuum connection. I get rock solid 20hg vacuum but no boost pressure. I revved it up to 5k RPM, still no boost( it stays at 20hg at this RPM).
I've just replaced the intake/exhaust manifold, checked out the turbo, it's ok. Why am I not able to measure boost, when I'm driving it I can feel the turbo kick ( I think) in aroubd 3k RPM because the car pull a lot harder( quicker).
Can anyone tell me what's goimg on here?
Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Tom,
Do you take the reading when you are driving or when the car is sitting in one place? I think you can only read it when you are driving or on the dyno. I am not familiar with your car, but this is the way I measure the boost of my car. Hope someone else can give you a more specific answer.
Huy 260Z

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
What is the boost amplifier vacuum connection? You are using a mechanical gauge, right? You can tee the gauge into one of the many vacuum lines coming off the intake. Or tee into the line that goes into the factory MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor on the front passenger fender. You should be able to make the gauge drop to 0 instantly just by winging the throttle. To get boost readings you have to be under a load, like driving down the road. by boost amplifier you don't mean brake booster do you? If you do you may be on the wrong side of the one way valve. That would cause you too see 20 in all the time. That must be what you did. Look for a little connection in that line about 1 inch long. That's a one way valve for the brakes. Put your tee on the manifold side of the valve, or move it to another line. You don't need a big vacuum line for the gauge to work correctly.
greg
71 240z

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.