ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Dan, Well maybe it's because we got all the downtrodden crazies from the motherland, or maybe it's the inbreeding, but there are too many nuts down here so God sent Samuel Colt. We've already discussed this newer generation and their lack of respect. It's not the law abiding citizens I worry about and as Britain and Australia have proven, when you disarm lawabiding citizens...crime goes up.

BTW, while I do like the idea of the cougar patrol, cats by nature are timid. I'd prefer a couple German Shepherds, those dogs can think.

G

·
0 Posts
Britain's crime increase isn't from lack of guns to the public, it's from lack of teeth in the legal system. It is from changing laws and accomodating the previous lives of many of its new citizens rather than reminding them that they chose to come to a new culture rather than stay in their old ones and so should embrace the new culture rather than make the new place exactly what you left.

If your laws have teeth and you do not make accomodations but rather stick to your position, your laws, your society, then there isn't really an issue.
Enforcers need weapons. The general public with weapons only introduces vigilante justice.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Yea you're right. I remember hearing about the arrest and incarceration of the British farmer who used an illegal weapon to defend himself from home invaders. It probably would have been much better for him to have watched his wife and daughter raped, then murdered and just let those defenseless bobbies look for the killers. As for me, my Colt .45 would have stopped them at the threshold.

We in the states do not understand Britain's apparent disregard of self defense. ANd I know and agree of what you speak of the new citizenry. Political Correctness will be the downfall of us all.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
In prior discussions on this topic someone usually mentions the issue with listing off all the illegal modifications made to your Z and bragging how many thousands of horsepower it makes and then also including the plate number so the police / inspectors can find you faster. Not sure I buy that, but I thought I would mention it....

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Phil, usually those illegal modifications only apply to Californis...for the time being anyway. After they go bankrupt they'll be bought by Mexico...or France.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Re: license plates & guns

Gimme a license plate and a few hours, and i'll give you your whole name, address,ss #,drivers license number,date of birth, every car you currently have registered or license plate you had in the last 10 years, every address you have had since the 80's,the names of everyone who lives with you, the names of anyone who lived with you at any of your addresses since the 80's, your family tree, any criminal or civil court history (in most states),where you work, how much you make and the value of your home. and if not in a few hours, then in a few days, depending on the jurisdiction.

And shame on you if you are on myspace, facebook or orkut and expect to be left alone. which leads into...

Does anyone here not think it possible that there are some few out there who would sign up for this or any similar forum with the specific intent on learning where the nice cars can be found, to pluck them up when you are not home? Sure, maybe they are not after the Z31's, but the really nice older stuff, or the new 370's sure are at risk. Once it lands on this forum, this stuff is out there, all over the world and there is no retracting it. Hiding your plate in an internet pic is not paranoid. why take the risk, right? We have no choice but to drive around the streets with a plate, since that's what they were invented for and we're not allowed to drive without them.

On to guns

Anecdotally, most people I ever met from Canada are very friendly, peaceful people with a good outlook on life and it seems to me, culturally, that the want for guns there is virtually non-existant because everyone seems so nice that they are generally busy doing other things like drinking & having sex, or even ice fishing, rather than killing each other at rates found here in the US.

Someone else said that we in the US don't understand the Brits' disregard for self defense: The UK, throughout history, dating back to subjugation of the celts at least, have routinely prohibited weapons from the hands of the conquered subjects, celts were not even allowed to posess any metal at all, so that they couldn't form weapons of any real strength or value. Not much has changed regarding the mindset of the british government or the loyal subjects on that front, so I would think it must seem natural not to have a firearm in the home in britain

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Here's some fuel to fire up the debate on firearms -

If you breakdown U.S. hommicides by firearms:

54% are suicides (this is listed as homicide in FBI stats)

of the 46% left over - 80% of that is drug violence or directly drug related -

gang turf wars, drug dealers and others eliminating competition or stealing from other drug dealers.

Breakdown firearms shootings by ethnicity and guess what

Whites = most % that Eruope does.

Blacks = most % of African and 3rd World countries

Hispanic = Most of the Latin American countries

Historically America was settled by and expanded by Scots-Irish settlers who were escaping English oppression and outright genocide.

Clan habits of blood fued, distrust of law, and selfreliance and settling of ones own disputes have gone hand-in hand with Manifest Destiny.

And forget about the Old West or Wild West thing - sure the boom towns had a shooting per night - lots of men, few women and lots of wisky.

The established cities always have and had far more crime than what you would belive from movies and the old horse operas.

Now lets's take the Swiss - well actually no one tries to. By law all Swiss males 16 to 60 must keep and maintain a military weapon at home and be ready to defend the country on a moments notice. They must qualify with that weapon annually. And that weapon is fully automatic.

So let the Canadians be Canadian.

After all, to the rest of the world they're just unarmed Americans.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
In 1990 or so when Florida issued carry permits, the prophecy was gunfights daily. There hasn't been, but crime went down. There was some town in Ohio back in the 80's I think that outlawed guns...crime went up. Kennesaw Ga in response passed an ordnance requiring every household to own guns, (I'm sure not everyone did), but crime went down. We had a rash of home invasions a few years back until they hit an armed home and was blown away. Haven't had any invasions since.

Back in the 70's I did a masters thesis where we polled felons in Ca jails. The vast majority favored gun control.

What gun control advocates will not admit is the deterrent provided by the knowledge that the potential victim "might" be armed.

So if you feel safer unarmed and trust your fellow man that much, far be it from me to insist that you carry. However, please extend to me the same courtesy.

G

·
0 Posts
erzelda wrote "After all, to the rest of the world they're just unarmed Americans."

Glad to see you've got a sense of humor! I almost spit out my coffee when I read that one!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.