ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've asked here, on 300zxclub, and tt.net, not to mention several individuals.

Is there a difference on the testing procedure for the old style PTU's compared to the new PTU's?

I've got a newer one, but the only FSM's I've had access to show the old style PTU's.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Hmmm... I have both proceedures at home ...

Great question!!! I will get back to you when I get home from work. It will give me a chance to glance at both and compare.
MaxDoc

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Not to put any pressure on you, but do you know when that will be? I'm going to head up to Vancouver, BC tonight to pick up Zedx's spare(or maybe strip it off his working engine.. ;) ) PTU. I don't really have the time to do it but I'm making time. Basically, I'd like to avoid the trip if I can. If I do leave, it will probably be around 6pm Pacific.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I disconnected the PTU completely. I have it in my lap. Testing between the terminals as per the FSM. Am I doing something wrong? My digital multimeter doesn't test for continuity, so I'm using an analog meter set to some sort of ohm reading. When there's no continuity the dial doesn't move. When there is continuity, it moves over to 0.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could an ECU fry a PTU? I'm just trying to figure out how my PTU died....

Car was running great. Switch ECU's(ash), and a couple days later my car is having problems... Oh well. I'll swap PTU's and go from there.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Problem... The FSM is NOT accurate when testing PTU's. I just got back from Mike/Zedx's house. I'm eating dinner right now, but I decided to test his PTU before I put it in my car, that way I'd know if my car destroyed his, or if it didn't... Just some sort of assurance.

ANYWAY... So, his shows the same readings as mine, and his is working. Mike just started his Z up yesterday. I'm still going to try starting my car with his PTU... but it's not looking good.

Anyone else care to test their working PTU against the FSM's testing method?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.