ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just installed a modified L28 (triple 45 Webers,High lift cam,worked head,tuned length headers etc) it has been built by a well respected engine builder with the crank and rods shot peined and balanced.
The engine pulls strongly to 8000rpm but I would like to know what would be a good redline to use to get good reliability, can any one advise ?? Thanks

·
Registered
625 Posts
rpm

8000 sounds like more than enough.If everything was professionally balanced you should be ok, but if not, you better keep it to 7000. I broke two 280 crankshafts by turning them over 7500, but the engine was only factory balanced. later,norm

·
Registered
361 Posts
Chris,
Some background on race motors, and high performance motors. An all out L6 will produce peak hp at about 7500-7600 rpm. It will turn to about 8k, but because of the design of the L6 head and such, it is no good over that. You can get it to turn more than 8k, but you won't produce more power that way. Now, in your case, I would guess that it is not an all out race motor, ie 600 lift, 330 duration cam, massive porting, etc... That means you are likely producing peak power just below 7k. Sure, it will turn higher, but your best bet, both for longevity, and power is to shift from 7-7200. Unless you have aftermarket rods and pistons, it won't last long at those rpms. the ring lands will start to be beaten to death by over about 6600.
There is a lot more involved, but your best testing is at a 1/4 drags, on test and tune nights, where you can experiement with shift points, etc.. to find the best points.
-Bob Hanvey

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.