ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 91 JDM clip has a 5 speed transmission and I was wondering if there is anyway to tell if it needs to be rebuilt before I install it in my car. If not, does anyone know of a good source to send it to to be rebuilt? I supose I should look locally to avoid shipping charges. I remember that certain year(s) have syncro problems or something, can anyone elaborate on this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
1. Not without opening it up. Drain the fluid and if there are more than just the most minute metal flakes, the transmission is probably worn.
2. Rebuilds are not cost effective, look for another used tranny.
3. From 94up the 5spd transmissions are stronger with better syncros. Sometime during 93 they switched, so 94 and up is a sure bet for success. Let me put it this way, I wouldn't buy a used pre-94 transmission for 10 bucks because if it isn't grinding a gear yet it will by 120k.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
What makes a rebuild not cost effective? If its already out of a car its much less labor.
and rebuild kits aren't that expensive if you wanna try and tackle it yourself... it really isn't that hard, theres just lots of parts.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
where can I get a rebuild kit? I have a spare tranny lying around ('95) but it has bad syncros. I would like to try to rebuild it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.