ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to replace my clutch.. The next step was to remove the front exhaust from the manifold. The nuts and bolts looked pretty rusted. I bought a breaker wrench and some extensions, but when I tried to loosen the first nut, it somehow stripped from a hexagon to a circle.. now I'm stuck. Any advice?

Nic

Post Edited (Nov 11, 10:56pm)

·
Registered
13 Posts
heat and good vise grips...

or cut the nut off and after the manifold is out then use the vise grips to get the stud out..

Post Edited (Nov 11, 9:02pm)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know if you guys have looked under your cars.. but there's barely room to get vice grips on the nut, much less actually use them once they're on there. I don't see how you could get room to cut it off either.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Flexible extension on a dremel tool?
Air grinder with a cut off wheel? Either fit in mine..

Canadian Tire up here has stripped nut removing sockets.. look into that?

or angle drill and drill it out..

·
Registered
32 Posts
MAC tools has sockets for stripped bolts. There supposed to bite onto the stripped bolt head or nut.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many trips to different hardware stores found the answer - breaker wrench, extensions, and a "bolt-grip" socket kit that digs into the nut like tmacis300z and Steev were saying. Total cost: $40. Hopefully I'll use some more of this stuff later. I've spent $155 on this clutch project so far - how do you guys think that compares to the price to get a new clutch in a shop?

Nic

·
Registered
32 Posts
I checked alldatapro.com....The disc itself is $119.98, They would charge 6.3 hours for labor. Depending on the location 60-85 for Labor per hour

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.