ZCar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Most of us know of the infamous ignition relay. How its also hard to find if not expensive. I went ahead and made one on my own. Hopefully this may be of help to anyone in need of one.

I went to the local parts house and picked up two stsp relays 40amps and box of female end clips, i already had some wire laying around.

CAM00167.jpg
CAM00168.jpg
CAM00169.jpg

Hooked up the clips at one end of the wires

CAM00172.jpg

And left the other end clean and ready to be solder on to the old relay's plastic piece. (I went ahead and melted a spot on one of the corners to use as an exit for the wires, since i wanted to use the old metal casing)

CAM00173.jpg
CAM00171.jpg

Soldered the wires on to the plastic piece and connected the wires on to the relay.
CAM00175.jpg
CAM00178.jpg

And here is the end piece, not exactly the best looking but it got the job done and it bolted up on the board alongside the old relay on the little board.
CAM00177.jpg

Car cranks and runs like a champ. Not the best writeup but hopefully this may be of some help to any frustrated soul that would run into a bad ignition relay for a 280z model.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Nice writeup!

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I made this on Saturday night. I used a dual relay socket and removed the 87/a wires. I tied the black wires together and attached a ring lug to be attached to the old relay mounting point for ground. The remaining 6 wires were trimmed and attached to a 6-pin large male plug I bought from http://www.vintageconnections.com.
Just plug standard SPST relays or SPDT relays into the sockets, and you're good to go.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Nice.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I made this on Saturday night. I used a dual relay socket and removed the 87/a wires. I tied the black wires together and attached a ring lug to be attached to the old relay mounting point for ground. The remaining 6 wires were trimmed and attached to a 6-pin large male plug I bought from http://www.vintageconnections.com.
Just plug standard SPST relays or SPDT relays into the sockets, and you're good to go.
Thats exactly what i did with the ground wires, i forgot to put that in the write up. All it is, is making the ground wires long enough to reach whatever point of ground you want to use.

·
Super Moderator
41,003 Posts
Steve, that is a cool connector! That allows the use of any commonly available standard relay pair to replace that silver SOB under the dash. This should be up on the stickies for both solutions... This is a valuable bit of information for anybody running the EFI cars!

Great solution both of you.

:D

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Thank you, Tony. I'll write up my notes and post them here and on my blog when I get home. Apparently the last seven years of doing electrical engineering work has been helpful to me.:)

By the way, I'm in California doing some testing of equipment in the field, and I'm flying back at oh-dark-thirty tomorrow.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I couldn't find plastic connector that would clip onto the factory one under the passenger side dash, so i had to do with what i could find at a local parts house. A more in depth procedure with cutting and soldering a new clip in place of the old one would allow you to have a more fancy finish or as previously posted by Steve if you purchase one online, i didnt have the time to wait around for one, since it was unprecedented and the z is my daily driver. I just wanted something that would clip and bolt under the passenger side dash without a problem, but, more importantly replace the old relay with equal functions.

·
Super Moderator
41,003 Posts
Pin removal tool and a couple of empty relay sockets that you repopulate suitably and you could plug standards into the stock harness, no?

·
Super Moderator
41,003 Posts
In other words, instead of making a plug-in adapter to adapt the stock harness, take the stock harness that the white connector plugs into, and populate the black sockets directly.

That's basically what you are doing now. Those 0.250" spades fit most sockets... I'm thinking that may just do the trick to boot the mysterious silver combi-box for good and use conventional, easily available relays forevermore!

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Vintage Connections has the connectors. Just use the male portion of MP6N Non-Latching Set.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Had to revive this thread to say thanks to Steve for helping me out on multiple occasions with this matter and other related relay issues. Your help and time has been greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
For those of you that don't want to go through the hassle of making a relay to fit or else aren't capable of doing such a task, I sell a plug'n'play unit on my online store. www.datsunstore.com just go to the electrical section and you'll see it under relays. FYI, it's known as the ignition and accessory relay and it fits the 76-80 cars. I've been selling them for a couple of years now. I use sealed relays for my setup and they sell for 84.95 BUT if you put a note in the comment section of the order stating that you use zcar.com I knock the price down to 74.95. Also put a note in there to ship it postal and I charge 10.50 to ship it priority regardless of what the store shipping estimator says. I'm also starting to make other relays for these cars one by one, as they go obsolete.
Z man of Washington

·
Registered
1 Posts
new z owner

need some help plz ..i'm working on a 76 280z and it will not start it does nothing. i see that on the driver side there is a fuel relay, it looks like a two relay in one. i see an ignition relay on the passenger side ,what i would like to know when i turn the key witch relay fires 1st . :frown

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi,,
There's an idea. It just seems strange that they would decide to keep good stock (or keep producing) the other relays, but not this one. So far its the only one that no parts store offers a direct replacement for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Most of us know of the infamous ignition relay. How its also hard to find if not expensive. I went ahead and made one on my own. Hopefully this may be of help to anyone in need of one.

I went to the local parts house and picked up two stsp relays 40amps and box of female end clips, i already had some wire laying around.

View attachment 30010
View attachment 30018
View attachment 30026

Hooked up the clips at one end of the wires

View attachment 30042

And left the other end clean and ready to be solder on to the old relay's plastic piece. (I went ahead and melted a spot on one of the corners to use as an exit for the wires, since i wanted to use the old metal casing)

View attachment 30050
View attachment 30034

Soldered the wires on to the plastic piece and connected the wires on to the relay.
View attachment 30058
View attachment 30074

And here is the end piece, not exactly the best looking but it got the job done and it bolted up on the board alongside the old relay on the little board.
View attachment 30066

Car cranks and runs like a champ. Not the best writeup but hopefully this may be of some help to any frustrated soul that would run into a bad ignition relay for a 280z model.
In your picture that shows the 2 red wires, a blue wire and a black wire, can you tell me which pins in the factory plastic part of the case those wires go to?
Thanks,

1 - 20 of 21 Posts