ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an idea and have not yet tested this yet, perhaps if anyone has tried similar techinique and provide some feedback or even just share your thoughts on this subject....
instead of buying the expensive materials out there for accoustical insulation, i have some sheets of rubber roofing material left over from the past summer, can i apply this the same way with roof cement, or other type of adhesive?, i like the durability and solidity of the material, but how practical is this in this type of application.and then apply the same type of aluminum type of roofing paint for thermo control. i don't think it's too heavy if not the same as the other materials out there, if you calculate it by sq ft.at 1/8" thickness, evenly distributed, of course...
any thoughts are appreciated.
thanks
wil

·
Registered
820 Posts
Re: MAKESHIFT ACCOUSTICAL ECONO-MAT

i would also like to soundproof my car the cheap way. i currently have all the interior out and been driving it around like that forever. i have a nice stereo and i would love to hear it over the freeway crusing noise. i was thinking about spraying truck bed liner in my car.

david karey

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
materials....

Though they might just look like a sheet of rubber, they are much more than that. They absorb sound instead of reflecting it.

I had to do a bunch of research into soundproofing a studio at my old job, I found out that you can hang up some rubber and foam on the walls, but it will still echo, and sound still passes through it.

Your rubber strips may work somewhat, but not as well as the professional stuff. There is a reason behind its price..

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Tyson, what IS the best stuff?

Dynamat? Super Dynomat? The MSA felt stuff? The JC Whitney foil/rubber/foil? Bubble wrap? Johns Manville R-11? Truck bed stuff squirted everywhere?

If you had to pick something that would offer the best heat and sound insulation to put in a Z, what would it be?

Thanks!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Dynomat!

Placed dynomat on the floors, bed, sides, door panels. The sound deadening is impressive. I have a 3/4 race motor, 2.5" exhaust and I can "listen" to the stereo even while I am running through the gears. Lotsa $ though.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Re: Dynomat!

And the "Super Dynamat" is even better!!!...and more expensive, too...but you get what you pay for...yes, it weighs a bit but no more that Aunt Mabel in the passenger seat... :eek:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.