ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 76 280z from a guy who needed the money for $900 straight up... its a straight 6, good condition it was overhauled at 109,000 miles and is now at 192,000 miles. the previous owners took very good care of the car i have records from 1988 of all the up keep on the car. Like in 99 the owners dropped a 5 speed manny tranny in her...my question to everybody is what would be the best way to go about getting some more power...maybe go for the v-8 or just rebuild and build up on the straight 6???

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
See the "search" up at the top of the page? Click on that and type "more power" in the search engine. This question is asked at least 4 million times a week on this forum.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on your deal.. There are several different ways to get power. It really depends on what you are looking for.. if you are just looking for a few more HP and pep.. you can do bolt ons to your current motor or install a different head to raise compression. Another great way to get more power is to swap in a L28 turbo motor.. I am currently running a L28ET in my 77 . It is basically stock so far and I ran a best of 13.8 @100mph in the 1/4. Then there is the V8 swap. All are great mods and really depends on what kinda mods and money you have to work with. Good luck. Where do you live? and have any pics of the Z??

Post Edited (Oct 14, 2:40pm)

·
Registered
167 Posts
John C. that was a good one

·
Registered
944 Posts
Zoey, they all came with the straight-6, for your year it was called the L28, where 28 = 2.8 Liters. The 240's came with L24's = 2.4 liters, 260's had L26's... The 280zx came with the L28E (EFI- fuel injection), and also later with the L28ET (turbo). Its not until the next generation when the V6's came into play.

Like others have said, drop in an L28ET and all its associated electronics and plumbing, and you'll have a pretty fast car on the cheap.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Depending on what state you live, building up a fast car has its limits . . . SMOG limits.
I am in a state called California a.k.a. automotive ****. That is why I purposely bought a smog exempt car.

·
Registered
944 Posts
///
Author: boardkid280z
Date: Oct 14, 4:21pm

Since his is a 280z it is also an EFI, not only the X's had the injection.
///

Thanks, I couldn't remember when they got rid of the carbs- so I was intentionally vague :)

Post Edited (Oct 14, 4:45pm)

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is a little off subject, but can someone help me out? I'm interested to know the difference between the blocks on the l28e and l28et. I know there are some oil lines that hook up near the filter on the l28et, but can the l28e be "converted" to a turbo?

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
The late NA and turbo blocks are the exact same F54 block. Even the earlier engines can be used as the oil line just hooks to the oil sending unit threads.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.