ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was trying to adjust my timing chain because I thought it had stretched. I tried to fire up the engine and it would not go I kept playing but I could not get it any better. A funny noise came from the engine it sort of sounded as if the valves were hitting the pistons (is this possible?) one of the valves is now stuck down I think it is bent. Also the crank will no longer turn I don't know what I have done. As soon as I get some spare time I'll take the head off and fix the valve any other suggestions as to what I have done would be great. Also could someone please tell me how to get the timing chain back to the correct position.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,511 Posts
when I bought my bike I tried for about 3 days to get it running it was sitting for 3 years or more the carb was nasty any ways after I got it running before I could hop on it and ride it no oil got to the head and the chain broke and the valves put some nice dents in my pisten its only has one pisten its a 100cc total just for my bike it was 50$ in labar and about $400 for new rockers, new valves, pisten, pin, rings, timing chain, and lots more that turned blue from getting so hot any ways the bike was $250 and after getting it running $800+ because of new tires and so on

after this long story if your still reading
my point is that the valves put dents in the pisten so I hope that yours are ok

P.S the bike keeps running better and better every day its its been 2 years since the rebiuld
and I still thank the guy who did it for $50
well he just said do some weeding and I will call it even

Jeff 280ZXT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
> The other day I was trying to adjust my
> timing chain because I thought it had
> stretched. I tried to fire up the engine and
> it would not go I kept playing but I could
> not get it any better. A funny noise came
> from the engine it sort of sounded as if the
> valves were hitting the pistons (is this
> possible?) one of the valves is now stuck
> down I think it is bent. Also the crank will
> no longer turn I don't know what I have
> done. As soon as I get some spare time I'll
> take the head off and fix the valve any
> other suggestions as to what I have done
> would be great. Also could someone please
> tell me how to get the timing chain back to
> the correct position.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
> The other day I was trying to adjust my
> timing chain because I thought it had
> stretched. I tried to fire up the engine and
> it would not go I kept playing but I could
> not get it any better. A funny noise came
> from the engine it sort of sounded as if the
> valves were hitting the pistons (is this
> possible?) one of the valves is now stuck
> down I think it is bent. Also the crank will
> no longer turn I don't know what I have
> done. As soon as I get some spare time I'll
> take the head off and fix the valve any
> other suggestions as to what I have done
> would be great. Also could someone please
> tell me how to get the timing chain back to
> the correct position.

From what I read, it sounds like
cylinder head has to come off.
You say you have a bent valve,
the valve seat is probably deformed
and you will not get a tight seal.
At least you will get a visual on the
condition of the engine.If the chain
in the correct position,obtain a
CAM TOOL and wedge the chain.
With the chain retained, you can remove
the head with out disturbing the front cover.
Sometimes the rubber slipper at the end of
the chain tensioner can wear out with a deep
grove from the chain, causing slack in the chain.
this could cause your timing to move 1- 2 teeth.
My first advise is to buy a Haynes Repair manuel
for z cars. Chapter 2 covers all you need to know
about the timing chain,the head,the valves,etc...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
It sounds like you have a unique OPPORTUNITY. Engine rebuild. Yes, the valves will hit the pistons if the engine timing is off too much. If you have a bent valve, guess what did it. The piston. Replace the pistons, it could have a crack in it. While you are at it, go ahead and spring for a new timing chain set and tensioner. I think anytime you bend a valve, your Zcar deserves an engine pull and right work. The Haynes book has very good instructions on engine timing. Good Luck!
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top