Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
83 zxt
In an attempt to hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge to my L28T to try to diagnose a low oil pressure situation. I removed the turbo supply line, pressure sending unit, that all came off without any problem. I'm not sure of name of this part, it s the piece that screws into the engine. I am going to call this the t-block. Well, the threaded part on this t-block broke off inside the motor case. In an attempt to extract this piece with a screw extractor the dam extractor snapped right off flush. So I now have a broken nipple and a broken screw extractor stuck in my motor. I have tried everything I know how to do to get the broken extractor out with no luck. This is a tough break here and I am stuck. What can I do? Do I have any options here? If its not possible to get this out I can weld it closed, but I then have to find a way to feed my turbo and hook up a gauge. Is there any other places I can tap into to get an oil line or am I just plain screwed. What is this t-block called? Its the part that screws into the engine case and the turbo oil supply line hooks up to, also the oil pressure sending unit?

steve

83 zxt

·
Registered
824 Posts
have you considerd, or can you, drill out the extractor and threads then rethread the hole? just a thought.

·
Registered
465 Posts
wow, everyone on here taks about those extractor/ezout things being cheap and nearly imposible to drill out, id go for like one of those carbid tip drill bits and go at it with a real drill, not a cordless cuz it would go dead a million times.

·
Registered
402 Posts
You will more than likely have to remove the easyout first. Try drilling with a small bit in the fitting outboard of thr extractor and chip away the fitting far enough that you can grip the extractor and remove it. You might have to drill a larger hole in the fitting to reduce the thread pressure and use a larger extractor. The problem here is getting metal in the oil system. I would suggest that you purchase the real good type of extractor that Snap-On sells that does not use the left hand spiral as the means to back out the part. They work much better because they do not add more pressure outward on the theaded area.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I had a tap break on another job I was doing, and being unable to re-drill and relocate the item, I had no choice but to figure out a way to get the tap out.

I finally got a hardened metal punch, and smacked the side of the tap with the punch and hammer. The metal on the tap is hard enough that I literally shattered it, and was then able to remove the pieces. It's possible that you might be able to do the same with the extractor. If however it's not due to accesibility or fear of damaging the surrounding part(s), then....

Ouch, don't envy you.

FWIW

·
Registered
517 Posts
As a LAST RESORT ONLY!!!

Assuming the "T-block" is brass:
You might be able to melt the brass out with an oxy-acetylene torch....
According to my weldor's manual, cast iron melts at 2786 F, while brass melts between 1652 and 1724 F. That's over a 1000 degree difference!
If you go this route, I would jack up the side of the car opposite the broken fitting so the metal junk/"ez-out"(yeah right!) won't go into the engine.
Also, I think you would have to use a pretty big tip, maybe even feathering the cutting torch, to do this.
You would have to do it quickly, to avoid hurting your engine bearings (lead: melts at 621 F), but point the flame right at the brass, and it would work. Oh yeah, and the oil might catch fire too. Been there, done that, not that exciting.
Remove the oil pan, and be prepared.
Again, if this is brass we're dealing with, I KNOW I could do this myself, but everything has a risk.

And if the T-block is steel, this will not help!
Just an idea....
Nathan

email me first if you are going to try this

·
Registered
651 Posts
I think jerja has the right idea. You will not be able to drill out the extractor. I would use a titanium drill bit and drill as many small holes around the extractor as possible. Then try to bash the extractor sideways in different directions using a hammer and chisel (screwdriver) until it comes loose.

I got an 'easyout' broken off in an exhaust manifold bolt about 15 years ago. It's still in there.
SoM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.