alternator
master and slave on clutch
plugs and wires
front struts
front-end alignment
muffler

still needs:
reverse switch leaks oil from transmission
new lights in climate control ( bought lights, need to install)
rust repair
paint job
leaky t-tops ( seems to come and go)
front-end shakes a little when speed reaches around 75-80. Almost feels like it a lifts up a little then starts shaking. ( I had the tires balances and an alignment done. Front-end has been inspected and deemed "Tight".)

What I am looking for is a list of items I should replace, just because of the age of the car, and because they are likely to strand me if they go.

Also a list of items that are likely to go soon, but won't necessarily strand me.

Thanks for the feedback in advance!!!

Post Edited (May 23, 12:09pm)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Due to the lack of response, I guess what I have replaced already covers the items that could strand me?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Hm....brakes and probably some exhaust piping if it has not been replaced in a long while.

It's also a good idea to keep up on all of your fluids (including transmission, an easy one to ignore).

Our z31's have little quirks like all cars do. Mentioning them all would get difficult but you do have a good list to work from!

Good luck!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Stu.

I have replaced the front brakes and rotors. Rears still look good. I replaced from the cat back also. Had tranny oil and dif oil changed as well.

I change the oil every 3,000 or so...

Car actually runs great except when a part runs out.

My biggest expense coming up is going to be body work and a paint job. I do not have the skill for that.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
It sounds like you are taking good care of her! I am in the same spot in regards to the body work and paint job. For me, the engine/functionality has a higher precedence right now than the look so I'm still waiting for a bit on the body work.

It sounds like you have the right items in mind!

You have already replaced the most important items (like the timing belt/alternator/water pump) so you are in pretty good shape. Any idea why the leak from the tranmission at the reverse switch? It's probably a simple fix (but I don't know that).

Good luck at any rate!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had my mechanic remove the switch and inspect it. It is not leaking through the threads, it is coming out through the wires. The switch is just worn out and needs replacing. It still works, and is not leaking badly.

I got to make sure I got the right switch name for the dealership. I am going to take a picture and bring it in so they get me the right part.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.