ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Just got an 86 300zx non turbo, and I love driving it, but just recently I've had the engine cutting out problem very similar to some I've read on the forum. It only happens after driving on the highway for about 30 min. I'm wondering if it is a MAF problem, but I can't locate it, and I cant find a reference in my haynes manual either.

Also could it be a clogged fuel filter? I don't know when it was replaced last.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
805 Posts
Fuel filter after freeway .... not as likely. replace it however if you haven't done so in 30K or so.

Are you running a stock air cleaner? Or, do you have a oiled filter? If oiled filter; you might be tossing a little residue on the MAF or there is build up.

You would need to very carefully clean the MAF elements with alcohol .... that might take car of it. I would look very carefully at that. If there isn't residue on the elements or if it isn't dirty. I would probably leave it alone.
MAF's can be sensitive, but, very like could be the problem here if you have a aftermarket filter or the sensor is just plan dirty.

Dealers love to just replace them .... Sometime you can save them.

Then again .... Sometimes not ... be prepared with a located MAF just is case you have to buy a new one or you could be out a car for a while.

Good luck !!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
i have the same problem with my 86zxt.......after about 20 or 30 min of driving on the highway it wants to cut out or it starts sputtering..... i have a k&n filter on mine a bit dirty though....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.