ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went and got some new rear tires today, i burnt up the other ones, but when we went to put them on, those cheap ass locking lugs someone put on were stripped where the key goes in them, i got them off by hammering a socket onto them then hitting it with an impact wrench. on one wheel, the lug had been cross threaded on and the stud broke off with the lug. so how do i replace this stud? would it be best to jsut replace all the studs at one time? can i do this without having to take it to a machine shop?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Re: LUGS AND STUDS

I had to replace a few studs on my 280zx, I just ordered tyhe studs from nissan, there not that expensive. First knock the old studs out of the hub with a hammer and put the other ones in tap them a few times with the hammer and when you tighten up the lug nuts this should seat them in just fine. You really shouldn't have any trouble.
Hope this helps ya
-J-

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

but do i have to remove the axle and stuff? i hope not, **** i'm not looking forward to that.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts

Don't hammer on wheel parts - you'll damage your bearings. Front lugs are a lot easier cause it's no big deal to undo the spindle nut then work on the studs in a vise. On rear drums, I think there's enough room between axleshaft flange and brake backing plate to get studs in and out. Try to use a hefty C-clamp to force old studs out without hammering. Use marvel or penetrating oil.

Check new stud nuts for tight after 500-1000 miles.
Also recommend Nissan OEM parts.

Beware cheap mag wheel nuts. These strip easy. After much aggravation I got some decent ones from a local performance shop. Jeffp recently mentioned Summit Racing as source for quality mag lug nuts.

Later! ------- Al

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.