ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 71 240z that I have been autocrossing for about a year now. I was planning to buy an LSD but I was recently offered an R200 with a welded carrier (cheap). I am aware of the at least some of the drawbacks of a welded diff but
I am pretty tempted to stick it in and try it.
Any thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have some experience autocrossing a Z with a welded R-200 w/4.625 ratio.

You can expect the car to want to push accelerating out of turns. It will also be a little stubborn on initial turn in. However, the power application is quite incredible. You can pretty much steer the car w/the back end. It's a lot of fun, but not as fast around an autocross course than an LSD. Once you get used to it, you will undoubtedly post quicker times than w/out it. You will also experience increased tire wear. If its cheap enough, then I say try it. Whay do you have to loose, except for some time?

Ian

> I have a 71 240z that I have been
> autocrossing for about a year now. I was
> planning to buy an LSD but I was recently
> offered an R200 with a welded carrier
> (cheap). I am aware of the at least some of
> the drawbacks of a welded diff but
> I am pretty tempted to stick it in and try
> it.
> Any thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> I have a 71 240z that I have been
> autocrossing for about a year now. I was
> planning to buy an LSD but I was recently
> offered an R200 with a welded carrier
> (cheap). I am aware of the at least some of
> the drawbacks of a welded diff but
> I am pretty tempted to stick it in and try
> it.
> Any thoughts? Thanks

I Autocross a BSP Z and I would say the LSD is much better than a Welded rear. If you drive the car at all on the street, DO NOT USED a welded carrier. This will be very unsafe in rain and shorten your rear tire life. Also the only autocross class that allows a rear end higher than 3:54 (must use a gear ratio that came in the car) are OSP,productionand MOD prepared. Hope this helps.

Rick BSP Z

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RE: LSD(more info on my car)

First, thanks for the advice guys it is much appreciated. I wanted to elaborate a little on my car. It is a 5/71 z that I autocross once or twice a month in BSP. The car now has the original R180 with the 3.36 ratio. I wanted to go to the slightly lower 3.54 ratio along with an R200. The car does not see a lot of street use only because I have to drive my truck everyday for work. The z is mostly a weekend ride.
Oh yea, it still has the type 1 transmission. Next project, a type 2 4 speed or maybe a 5 speed.
Any suggestions??? Thanks

·
Registered
529 Posts
Re: RE: LSD(more info on my car)

OK, I agree that using the welded rear end on the street would be a BAD idea. However, I doubt that buying an LSD would be cost effective in your situation. If I were you, I would install an open R-200 and leave it at that. If you have the $500 or more that LSD's command, then by all means, go for it. However, I think that the welded one will hinder street performance, like Rick says. I had previously assumed that the car was strictly an autocrosser. Good luck!!!

Ian

·
Registered
625 Posts
Re: RE: LSD(more info on my car)

> First, thanks for the advice guys it is much
> appreciated. I wanted to elaborate a little
> on my car. It is a 5/71 z that I autocross
> once or twice a month in BSP. The car now
> has the original R180 with the 3.36 ratio. I
> wanted to go to the slightly lower 3.54
> ratio along with an R200. The car does not
> see a lot of street use only because I have
> to drive my truck everyday for work. The z
> is mostly a weekend ride.
> Oh yea, it still has the type 1
> transmission. Next project, a type 2 4 speed
> or maybe a 5 speed.
> Any suggestions??? Thanks
If the rules alow it get a 5 speed off an 81-83 Z and swap in a 260z transmission input shaft and front countershaft gear.This will give you the following tranny gear ratios 1st 3.7 2nd 2.24 3rd 1.58 4th 1 5th .90 Only negative is wide gap between 3rd and 4th gear.It gives awesome low end response though!!!!Alternate tranny with better spacing between 3rd and 4th would be a 76-79 input shaft and front counter shaft gear on the 81-83 5 speed gear ratios would be !st 3.422 2nd 2.076 3rd 1.46 4th 1 5th .832. By the way stock ratios are 1st 3.06 2nd 1.858 3rd 1.308 4th 1 5th .745. Latr dudes,norm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.