ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1984 na 2 seater, and have always felt that the 300zx would have been a more appealing vehicle if the stance was not so high. I am now considering lowering the car and have seen kits advertised between 1" and 2". Has anyone had experience with these "lowering kits" and, if so, what do I sacrifice from oriiginal performance and wheel clearance?

My second question is dual exhast. Does anyone provide dual conversions repalacing from the exhaust manifolds back? (Do not want to go through the Header Headaches; which I have done with many different vehicles)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Well my Z is lowered with the HP Blue Tokico suspension kit and I love it the only thing I would like to switch would be going fomr HP Blues to Lumina adjustables. :) dropped it about an 1". the ride is alittle stiffer from stock but I don't care about that the handling is so much better :D

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Any lowering from stock ride height is going to cause rear camber problems.

<http://z31.com/suspension/rearcamber.shtml>

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
17_6 wrote:
> haha...as if zs dont have enough stock camber :)

Stupid post number 5 for the day. What exactly is "stock camber"?

In case no one told you, a little negative camber is actually desirable for proper handling.

crimsoncard wrote:
> I have a 1984 na 2 seater, and have always felt that the 300zx would
> have been a more appealing vehicle if the stance was not so high. I am
> now considering lowering the car and have seen kits advertised between
> 1" and 2". Has anyone had experience with these "lowering kits" and, if
> so, what do I sacrifice from oriiginal performance and wheel clearance?
Lots of springs available:
<http://www.az-zbum.com/information.springs.shtml>

crimsoncard wrote:
> My second question is dual exhast. Does anyone provide dual
> conversions repalacing from the exhaust manifolds back? (Do not want
> to go through the Header Headaches; which I have done with many
> different vehicles)
No kits. Only thing to do would be to buy a set of headers and make your own dual exhaust.

Post Edited (Sep 6, 11:23am)

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
are you serious??? The Z already sits lower to the ground than most cars. We actually sit lower than most sports cars (maybe not exotics)

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
not s30's...

i went to the FL Z Fest last year... and my Z looked like a monster truck compared to the 4 Z32's i was parked next to... hehe.

not anymore though.. a 4" drop took care of that!

·
Registered
559 Posts
i guess i said this wrong...if you were to lower the car the camber would get more negative...the Z (as it sits) already has alot of negative camber, (which yes zbum is good for handling) but if were more extreme than it is as a stock suspension...youd go through tires like no ones business...sorry i guess i cant describe it well lol

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
17_6,
Nitto has a new tire out called the NeoGen, it is specifically designed for cars with excessive camber. The tires have a denser compound (might be something else, but it's different either way) on the inside of the tire to keep it from wearing as quickly.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Crimsoncard,
Be careful when purchasing/installing your lowering springs. We have recently had a member (My_Z31??) that had a "bad experience" with faulty springs or installation. He has not yet had the problem fixed, and I am unclear of the exact details of his problems, other than the car now sits higher in the rear.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the responses, I am aware of the negative camber on the rear end, which I now have with a stock vehicle, which I have owned for 21 years. I have always worn out tires prematurely on the rear of this vehicle. Aesthetically, we all have opinions as to what a z31 should look like, and unfortuntely I feel they show a more muscular appeal if they are lower to the ground. Rather than looking like a 240, which incidentally, was one of the better looking vehicles Datsun/Nissan produced in those years!

Drive behind a stock 300zx, gt3000, Dodge Viper, Vette, etc., and notice the difference. Notice I did not mention a Miata.

In any case I appreciate all responses. They help to head me in the right direction.

I hope I have not discouraged anyone from reponding to this posting, as I sincerely appreciate all opinions.

My only question was what has someone found to be the best way to lower the vehicle 1" to 2" without fender rub or interferance on the front tires and obviously the camber on the rear will have to be adjusted, but I have the original springs there now, and it has always "clunked" on the right hand side when I start from low (manual Transmission)

Thanks again for all responses,

·
Registered
918 Posts
Update on my previous post regarding a "kit" for dual exhaust. I contacted The Spec Shop ..

They DO NOT have a "kit" (per say) .. that can be sent out to have installed.

They have the components, but assembly/installation is custom for each z31 at their facility.

Post Edited (Sep 7, 7:30am)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.