ZCar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working to remove the spindle from the lower control arm. Used the spindle remover tool, but, it failed, heated and hammered, failed. What is the next method.

·
Registered
54 Posts
In my case the spindle locking bolt (located in center of spindle) deformed the spindle effectively locking spindle in place. The spindle was a little bowed. Had to use a press to push spindle instead of pulling,spindle tool. Used lots of WD and other rust loosening oils.

·
Registered
274 Posts
You can cut the spindle at two places between the the lower arm and the strut/axle housing. In my case it was easier pressing three small pieces than the entire length. Of course, it still required a torch and a friend to help hold the parts in the press.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I used a hammer, socket extender as a drift, heat, and lots of penetrating oil. I'd hammer it from one side, then the other, alternating for at least three hours per spindle pin. I ruined a couple socket extenders and got a heck of a workout on my hammering arm.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help and suggestions - painful process -

1. Burned out bushing on each end of the control arm
2. Used a Sawsall to cut both end of the control arm
3. The end pieces of the spindle were now free (still have to cut out the old metal ring on the inside of each control arm)
4. Brought a 20 ton hydraulic press and pressed out the remaining spindle - used more lubricating oil to help
(started with a nut at a time - then moved to a bolt - and finally to a punch)

First time using a press and it was unnerving to hear the metal move (pop). Be careful and insure that all parts are secure!

I hope the other side goes a lot easier.

Each of the response help keep me working to a positive result.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
I had a friend with a machine shop. It still had to be heated very hot. I won't bother doing the job again. There wasn't any point. Shocks can be changed easily with it installed and there wasn't any slop or exceptionally stiff places in the joint. Why are you jumping through the hoops. Just change any other bushing that's under the car and have the rest of the suspension in good shape and it will handle well. Have new pins handy if you decide to go forward.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Its a difficult job, the best method is to use the tool in conjunction with a torch and oil like others have mentioned

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I had to cut the bushing metal off the lower control arm and did not do the best job - see pictures below. My question is will it still be stable, I think so since I will be putting on a new steel sleeve and bushings. But, not sure. I can buy a full new lower control arm, but, would like to just continue to clean this one up. Help!
Lower control arm - cutting sleeve off.jpg Lower control arm - sleeve picture.jpg Lower control arm - cutting sleeve off.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts