ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1976 280z that I just purchased with 115,000 miles on it. It's in decent shape and runs great, manual transmission, doesn't smoke, but the oil pressure is way too low. New oil filter, new oil pressure sender, 5 quarts 20w50 Durablend semi-synthetic oil. Here's my problem:
Once car is hot, temp needle pointing straight up, while idling, oil pressure slowly will drop to almost zero. If I then hold the engine at 3000 RPM for 30 seconds, oil pressure goes to only 30 PSI, but once returning to idle, oil pressure goes BELOW zero, and pegs pressure gauge on the left side!! What the heck?
Additionally, I've never seen the oil pressure go past about 50 psi (cold engine only). I did take off the oil filler cap when the gauge showed zero oil pressure while the engine was running, and there was plenty of oil on the camshaft lobe.
Lastly, the gauge is REALLY slow to respond to changes in oil pressure. Is this normal?
Any help greatly appreciated.
NathanZ

·
Registered
685 Posts
You might try a gage on the oil sender port and determine if you really have an oil pressure problem. It could be a bad sending unit did you get your new one from nissan or from after market ? If you have a bad oil pump, which is possable the gage should tell ya but it sounds like my Z and it was the sender . I got mine from courtesy nissan in texas $41.00 and they shipped it to my door 800 527 1909 tell them that you heard of them on the net and they will give you the better price. Good luck Gary Portland Ore

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys

I checked the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge, and the pressure never dropped below about 14 PSI. Ahh, sigh of relief!
Time for a new Nissan sender.
NathanZ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.