ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I had a feeling that maybe my bad gas mileage was due in part to evaporation of fuel because I don't have a proper gas cap (I'm working on it...). So today I was gonna go for a bit of a long drive anyways, so I topped it off and marked the mileage, drove 60 miles (30 of those miles in really bad traffic, in 1st and 2nd gear almost the whole way) got back and topped it off again and was only able to pump 3.4 gals before it shut off. This equates to 17.5mpg's but again this was partially in really bad traffic, so I'm thinking maybe 19-20 highway mpg's. I feel better now :)

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
That's good.

I saw the earlier post, and my 260 averages 17mpg the way I drive....
The most I got highway was almost 26mpg, with a five speed and a 3.70 reargear in Wisconsin (which means I kept it below 65...)
So my Fairlady with the early five speed and 3.9 reargear averaged 22mpg on my last 7500 mile trip, and that was around a 65+mph average.
In my book, anything above 20mpg is acceptable.
You really wanna get frustrated? Look at the numbers for the GM N/A 3800 GenIII engine. Those things in BONNEVILLES are getting 30+MPG on the highway.
Those boys got the sh*t down on that combination! Hats off to the boys from GMI!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Not bad, could be better

I have tested the milage in my '75 280Z many times. I have your basic setup, 5-speed, 3.90 gears. I am consistanly getting about 23mpg in the bity and 25-26 on the highway. Of course I got flamed a few post back for having a dirty car. Whatever. I am proud of my car and the way it runs.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I had a 85 Stanza-4 cyl-5 spd that got high 30's local, 5 mile trips &
mid 40's highway.
It was peppy too if pushed a bit.
I credeated it to the 2 plugs per cyl.

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
Flamed?

What is this flaming everyone speaks of?
Some people have to understand that a difference of opinion does not constitute a death vendetta...
I also refer you to recent legislation passed in CA citing the reasons for NOT exempting cars from emissions testing. What I said then is still true today. Nothing has changed. Nothing will change. Rules will get tighter, and eventually the cars will be legislated out of existence unless we all act responsibly.
Facts are facts, just because you refuse to admit that does not change the facts. And does not do anything to change the world for the better in relation to old-car collectors or enthusiasts.
Climb up out of the cave, and join the enlightened.
There are some trees over there, I think I will go hug them now...

·
Registered
431 Posts
hmm i get 24 mpg mix of highway/city and about 26 straight highway.
76 280z, 81 280zx 5spd, 4.11 rear (yes i take into account taller gearing when calculating mileage)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.